Anybody Finding Gold With the White's MXT?

I got to use one of the very first White's MXT units, by sheer chance at Ganes Creek, Alaska, when then White's representative Steve Houston brought an early version up with him on a little nugget hunt I arranged. I soon decided that the MXT was perhaps the perfect metal detector for the Ganes Creek mix of low mineralization, tons of ferrous junk, and large gold nuggets. I very much believe my early use and promotion of the unit at Ganes Creek lead to the many people using it there with huge success. See the last few paragraphs at http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/garrett-infinium-whites-mxt-ganes-creek-gold-nuggets.htm written in August 2002.

I know just one person who found over 100 ounces with the MXT at Ganes Creek, including two nuggets that weigh over a pound each. I am sure that over one thousand ounces of the nearly 2000 ounces of gold found at Ganes Creek with metal detectors was found with the MXT.

That success at Ganes Creek made lots of news and no doubt helped launch the MXT into being one of the most successful metal detector models ever made. It was one of the very first of the now oh so common mid frequency detectors that can do everything well. And still one of the best.

Still, we do not hear much about the MXT these days as a nugget hunting machine. Ganes Creek shut down, and that took away perhaps the perfect MXT location from making news. And as a VLF the MXT does not see as much use with the serious folks down south who are more often than not using a Minelab PI detector for most of their nugget hunting. I am one of those people myself, but I have always had a need for a good discriminating VLF. I really loved my MXT, but it was finally a couple weeks of hunting very long days in the UK (England) that caused me to sell my MXT. The reason? Swinging 4.3 lbs day after day after day was not as easy as it was once upon a time, and newer detectors weighing much less were now on the scene. I ended up switching to the Fisher F75 purely based on weight and balance with the F75 at 3.5 lbs. And then I downsized again to the Fisher Gold Bug Pro at only 2.5 lbs.

But I still miss the MXT and think about getting one from time to time, before reminding myself of why I got rid of it in the first place. I sure would love to see the MXT packed into a 21st century box. Still, it got me to wondering. Is anyone here using the MXT to find gold nuggets? Been awhile since I have heard of anyone on the internet using the MXT for prospecting though a buddy of mine did very well at Jack Wade Creek last summer with his while I was there.

Here is the 6.85 ounce nugget I found at Ganes Creek in 2002 that got the ball rolling. Only 12 years ago but seems like a lifetime ago now.

More information on the White's MXT

post-1-0-36542700-1408566139_thumb.jpg

Steve, I used a MXT at Ganes the last year they were open and found a nugget that weighed a little over 1/3rd of a ounce. And found a couple in Nome using the MXT. Now I am using the even heavier ATX for my nugget hunting adventures but having good luck so I will continue to switch arms when it gets a little heavy!      ezdave

Yes the MXT is a Very good machine to this day...

I would of liked to have seen the MXT have the ability to manual set the ground bal....

I last week  used a MX5 which is lighter and built off the MXT but in my opinion its not a MXT by a long shot...

but maybe a sign of things to come for White's in terms of a lighter machine....dotn get me wrong gthe MX5 is powerful but lacks adjustability...if the do  a MXT repackage in the MX5 style box I hope they offer more than the current MXT offers in adjsutability..believe it or not the MX5 swings nicely and is built very rugged..
I could see a high end full control MXT in it ...

Keith

My wife and I each have an MXT, purchased over 5 years ago.  She uses a 4X6 and I have the 6X10 coil.  All our gold prospecting is old tailings in the gold districts here in Colorado.  We're happy with the results but also use our machines for Meteorite hunting and coin/jewelry detecting in city parks.  The MXT does it all.  

Kind of a re-post, but I dug this 5.5 gram nugget exactly one week after I bought my MXT pro. Then springtime got me busy with my garden for the summer, so have only been out a couple more times. I feel like my local bedrock would be more suited for a GoldBugII, or GMT. But my area is loaded with gold rush history, so I wanted to get a good multi purpose machine also. And I hope to find some tailings with nugget potential that my MXT will thrive in. :) pictured on the White's catalog.

post-208-0-63818500-1408925105_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Steve. The MXT Pro is my main, basically only, detector. Have you ever put on a 4x6 dd shooter coil for smaller nuggets? The area where the above nugget was found has been fairly well worked with my 6x10 DD. I'm wondering if you've ever nugget hunted with a 4x6 and what were your thought's on PROS/CONS, techniques?

I love that little Shooter coil! Really fantastic for hunting extreme trash areas in parks, etc. Superb for nugget detecting as you get less ground response and can get into nooks and crannies. Best used doing just that, going very carefully, especially on bedrock, trying to get down into every depression and between and under rocks and bushes. Basically, look for every place a bit too tight for a larger coil to fit.

Going to bigger coils rarely pays off. Going to smaller coils almost always does.

Honestly, no real cons except for lack of ground coverage. But that forces you to really slow down and concentrate. Great for site specific work.

By the way, nice chunk of gold!

More information on the White's MXT

post-1-0-80207900-1409846142_thumb.jpg