I've made an interactive 3D map of the Hoffman mining lease in Fairplay Colorado. There are two versions of the map A very LARGE one that runs about 30 Mb download and a much smaller one that's about 3.5 Mb.

LARGE 3D Map

small 3D Map

The Hoffman lease is called the Katuska pit.
It's about 8 acres of private property.
It has been permitted as a sand and gravel operation by the State of Colorado since 1991

While you are viewing the map click on the "mine" area outlined in red. A window will pop up with links to information about the geology of the placers from the Land Matters Library and a link to the sand and gravel permit report from the State of Colorado.

Use your mouse to move around the map. Scroll to move in and out or get dizzy by typing an "r" to make the map spin.

• Like 5

I finally gave the large image a go on my PC. I am guessing about two minutes to download but once loaded - what fun!

The link through to the appropriate report is handy. Looks like lots of gold there, but since it is from glacial moraines or concentrated out of the moraines the chances for metal detecting are slim at best. Better place for panning, sluicing, and dredging.

• Like 2

There is a public panning/sluicing "beach" in Fairplay not too far from where they are working if anyone wants to go up there and find some gold and watch them film. This is my old dredging territory, there is detectable gold but it's mostly picker size, 3-4 grains with a very occasional nugget around half gram. I mostly worked on the other side of the range though in the Arkansas valley.

I never would have expected that to be a place economically feasible to run a big operation if you have all of Alaska and the Yukon at your doorstep. Did they explain why they chose to move there? I have friends who still have claims up there. It can be really rich in some parts and then bam, the gravel is barren.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, jasong said:

This is my old dredging territory, there is detectable gold but it's mostly picker size, 3-4 grains with a very occasional nugget around half gram.

Thanks Jason. This is the kind of country I learned to detect in, where the Fisher Gold Bug 2 and White's Goldmasters/GMT reigned supreme. The fun part about glacial deposits is little hot spots can occur almost anywhere, and oddball out of place large nuggets are not impossible. Two grain nuggets may not seem impressive, but if you can find a dozen or more a day with a hot detector they do add up.

• Like 3