Sign in to follow this  
cabelafella

Garrett Z-Lynk Now Available

"What detector/headphone set up do you use?

On New Garrett units, example, AT, Ace 400i, the sound is perfect. (and will be on any New Garrett models coming soon)

The Z will work on 'non Garrett' units but some detectors and headphones might not be as good as you expect due to differences in headphone impedance, and wiring, and varying transmitter tolerances in different detectors!"

I am hoping that it will work well with my 5000 , gold screamer. and killer bee head phones. even if it doesnt work well on that detector it is bound to work with one of my other detectors. the price is reasonable

Described below are some test experiences as done with the New Garrett "Z-Lynk" wireless system coming soon (reproduced from a magazine article to be published in the months ahead) The set I received was a pre production unit so, your results may vary.

1. Delay - virtually impossible to observe any delay whatsoever, actually I will rephrase that to 'actually impossible' to observe any signal reproduction delay.

2. Audio quality - depends on (a) the headphone being used (b) the detector being used. 

I'll expand on this: Used with Garrett detectors (Ace 250, Ace 400i) and used with the headphones supplied with the 400i, there is an audio difference probably due to the Ace 250 being 'older technology', while the Ace 400i is current technology therefore specifically tuned to suit and also tuned to 'future 'Garrett' units (with a new unit due for release soon, and I don't know anymore about that than the next guy?) 

While the audio from the 400i is as perfect as you can get, the audio from the 250 can be described as 'rougher', meaning just that...it sounds like an explosion of sound. This can be tamed by reducing the Volume on the WR-1 by just a single button push. Do not reduce any further because the Volume drops off dramatically. 

Used on 'non-Garrett' units, the audio & volume will vary quite a lot depending on which detector & headphone/s you use with that detector. Used with an E Trac there is a 'secondary' audio sound that can only be described as a 'knock on wood' sound in tandem with the target's audio signal. This 'knock' sound can be banished with 3 Volume down presses on the WR-1. It can also be dispensed with by lowering the Volume Limit Menu inside the E Trac's Audio Menu to 15 while leaving the Volume on the WR-1 at full. 

The 'Z-Lynk' enhanced the 'stereo audio' on an X-Terra 705 - with headphones alone (Troy Pro) the Left ear cup had diminished audio volume (roughly 25%) but paired with the wireless system it restored the absent portion of the audio so equated volume in both ear cups was then much better.

Used with a set of "Sennheisser HD-238", the volume was very low. (these are for my iPhone and I would have to clarify by saying I wouldn't generally use them with a detector but, how will more expensive headphones sound?)  I will add a one eight to 1/4 adapter was used in order to fit the 1/4 jack plug in the WR-1 so something might have got lost in the translation?

3. Yes, there is a spring clip on the WR-1 to fit onto a belt etc. (I had my WR-1 in a top pocket of my jacket) 

To sum up, I believe everyone will have a different story to tell depending on which detector and headsets are used" 

Des D

PS: I'd love to use the system on a "Racer 2" as this detector has to be one of the loudest I have heard.

Similarly, I'd like to try it on a Deus but I lost my quarter inch to one eight adapter plug.

(I did a silly thing and plugged in my GPX shoulder mount speaker and of course it did not work! But, if someone was handy with a soldering iron, maybe wiring in a few extra capacitors and a power source, could make it work with non GPX detectors? Just a silly thought!)

• Like 2

I'm waiting to hear how it works with an MXT.

Any info yet?

'Like I said, it will depend on the headphone and however the software is set up in an MXT to drive the audio thru those headphones? Who knows? Everyone will hear things differently? You could have the most expensive headphone and the audio via an MXT could be crap? A yard sale headphone for $5.00 could be better? It depends!"

That is probably why the poster was asking if anyone had tried the Z-Lynk on an MXT. The unit is only just now shipping but we should get reports soon from people on how it works with different detector and headphone combinations.

I have been considering getting one but my real goal going forward is to only buy detectors with built in wireless capability. The problem I guess is I have an ATX and DFX that I would not mind going wireless with.

Heck with it. I will get one ordered and report back on the use with the machines I have at least.

• Like 2

My Z-link was just delivered and I am now charging it up . I will keep you all  posted  but of course where I live its going to rain for 5 days strait.

I got mine in the mail last week, but with all this rain I may never get out to try it!

I was excited to try out the new Z-Lynk with my 5000/Gold Screamer/ Grey Ghost combo, and was able to do so a few days ago.    Last summer and fall I had been using the Deteknix W6R6 setup to essentially do the same thing as the Garrett system.   The Deteknix worked very well overall with the exception that I could use them no more than 6 hours at a time, because the battery would be dead around that point.    The Garrett system has a 30 hour run time so I'm thinking that problem is now solved.   :)

But after the hunt the other day with the Z-Lynk in place of the Deteknix, I can confirm Des D's claim about audio issues with some detectors.    While the Z-Lynk worked well overall, I noticed that there was a very small amount of audio loss with my combination of detector/battery/headphones.   The clarity and volume was just a little different than what I was used to connecting the headphones directly to the Gold Screamer.   This may be fine for some/many, but to me it was noticeable.   I could always turn up the gold screamer a little to offset the loss of volume but the slight loss in clarity would still be there.   

After a few hours I handed the system to my buddy who was hunting with a 5000 and had the stock battery attached to the side of the control box to gauge his opinion.   He experienced the same issue with his combination (he was also using Grey Ghost phones).   A third fellow at the site had a pair of Killer B headphones, so we tried the system with those also... no change.

Overall they do work ok, and I'm sure that there is something specific about the GPX's audio output that is different than what was designed into the Z-Lynk's input.    Absent of other options from other manufacturers, I would continue using them on my GPX unless I was hunting an area where I needed to hear only the super deep, faint targets. If you get them, just be prepared to possibly have just a tiny bit of clarity loss using them with a GPX series detector.   However I expect that to be an unusual case and expect they will work perfect on a Garrett like the ATX, AT Gold, etc. and probably a bunch of other detectors.     

• Like 2