Garrett Z-Lynk Now Available

Got it. Well, I have my doubt about any wireless system being as good as directly plugged into a detector via hard wires. There is bound to be signal loss with current systems.

If Keith is still watching I have a couple questions. First, did the Deteknix exhibit a similar issue, or was this specific to the Z-Lynk? You mention using the Deteknix first and then the Garrett - so which had better audio quality.

I am assuming you plugged Gold Screamer into detector, and then transmitter into Gold Screamer. Did you try plugging the Z-Lynk into the detector first, and then plugging the Gold Screamer into the Z-Lynk receiver?

Steve-

Let me answer your last question first, since it's the easiest to answer.    When I used these wireless devices I simply plugged the transmitter into the headphone port of the Gold Screamer.   It was then tucked into the outside of one of the GPX's arm cuffs.   If placed too close to the Screamer or the GPX control box, you could hear a bit of interference (from either the Deteknix or Garrett)

Now to your first question.   Prior to last summer I was like you, skeptical that any add-on type of wireless system could perform as well as a hard wired set of headphones.... but I was wrong.    The capability does indeed exist.  

When we tried out the Deteknix wireless systems, we discovered a few plusses and minuses.    Their two specific models that build the wireless receiver directly into the headphones worked very well from a latency standpoint...  there is NO lag.   But the sound quality from the speakers they used in either their over the ear phones or their on-ear phones was not what I was used to... to me they sounded a bit muted, but I believe this to be due to the speakers used to build them.  

Deteknix also has a model which uses the same transmitter but on the receiving end has a dongle that allows you to use your existing headphones (or speaker).   We found that these work perfectly from a sound perspective.    The audio response you hear is exactly what you would hear if the link was removed - they nailed it from that perspective, which is what I was looking for.  

However, there are two characteristics of the Deteknix system that I do not like. One is the battery life - the max duration of continuous use of the receiver until the battery is exhausted is about 6 hours.   Also, lets face it... these are made in China, and how long will they endure the abuse to which I will subject them while relic hunting?

Garrett solved these last two issues... the run time is an advertised 30 hours, so making it through a few days of hunting should be easy.  Plus we know they make some quality products and stand behind them, eliminating the concerns I have with the imported product.   It's just that based on my experience that the Z-Lynk doesn't work as good as they could specifically with a GPX.  But that I suspect is a limited case,  and expect to see the Z-Lynk being used by a lot of people with a lot of different detectors over the next few years.  

Hi Keith,

Great feedback, thanks. You know now that I am thinking about it I was confusing the Gold Screamer with the B&Z Booster. So that question really made no sense!

I looked hard at the Deteknix but the battery life made it a non-starter for me. I often go more than 6 hours a day. The Pro-Sonic, well, I just cheaped out and got the Garrett, which arrived a couple hours ago. I will try it on the several machines I have on hand and report back later.

If the Pro-Sonic receiver had the ability to pair directly with my GPZ or CTX I would have got it instead, but I am balking at a third incompatible Minelab unit. They seriously need to revamp things so that all the models will mix and match. The Pro-Sonic receiver having a volume control is an improvement, so go with that. Now change the CTX and GPZ internal transmitters to match and phase out the WM10 and WM12.

I have the deteknix setup and the audio and responce time is good-I have the zlynk ordered and on its way-reason for buying- its less than half the price of the minelab and run time far exceeds the deteknix-hopefully theres no cross talk issues-Mike C...:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Z-lynk, have gotten out a couple times as it's beginning to thaw here.

I'm very impressed! well made, easy to setup and pair, used it with my G2+ which is pretty

darn fast and there is no discernable lag. I used my Sennheiser HD555's and they work great....

audio quality is very good, ie I can't detect any issues.

very easy to use now, volume setting is retained....simpley power on the receiver,

turn on your detector and away you go. Finally, a wireless setup that simply works.

I don't have the 30 minute timeout issue that's been mentioned elsewhere. Next will be seeing

how long the batteries last....Kudos to Garrett. I think they're going to sell a ton of these.

cheers from Toronto...

• Like 1