Why Dig Zinc Pennies?

There are so many good targets that will sound and VID as in the Zinc penny range. This pretty pendant is marked 925 sterling but is plated with 10K gold. It is in such good condition that I could not redily tell the difference between it and 14k......While I would rather it had been 14K..... I am still happy with the find.  12-35 on the CTX. It's your choice...dig or not to dig? 

strick

20170204_062847.jpg

• Like 9

For every trash item you can discriminate out there is unfortunately a corresponding good item somewhere. Heavy gold rings will also fall into the zinc penney range, but the have to be pretty massive.

I normally dig all non-ferrous when jewelry detecting. When time is limited however I do admit to knocking out everything from zinc penny and higher. This eliminates nearly all coins except nickels. A slight modification to this is to notch quarters back in as they do add up fast in some places.

• Like 4

I hate to miss silver rings so I'm still digging pretty much everything that hits with a solid VID and does not sound like a big aluminum can. I will add that I found the pendant early in the hunt last night while I was still gun ho so to speak.... It's the mid tones that really intrigue me. 

strick

8 hours ago, strick said:

There are so many good targets that will sound and VID as in the Zinc penny range.

Yep.  Some 19th Century US coins as well.  Zinc pennies aren't typically difficult to recover, since they are usually in the top few inches.  I hate 'em but I'm not about to miss something good to avoid them.

• Like 4

Steve nailed it too.

I've a habit of clearing larger canslaw to check for masking. That's gotten me more than one mens watch.

If they ever drop the penny as currency I'll be throwing them away. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Fabulous ring!

Steve

I actually found that wading with a detector you did not care much for. The ID Edge. LOL

There was a "closet queen" advertised on ebay and just had to have it. So now I am a proud owner of one again!

Tom

• Like 1