The New Tesoro Mojave

Jmaclen

hi, 

I recently purchased a Mojave and ran into possible coil problems. I live in Denver and ground phase numbers in my area are 88.5 to 93.5. On high mineral ground setting, discrimination at 7 o’clock (iron) and sensitivity at 5, I could barely get a solid signal at 4” inches on a nickel with a normal left to right scan and only faint clicks on forward a backward scan in my established test bed. Made it hard to pinpoint!!! I got no response at 6” inches with the same settings. Sent it to Tesoro after a call to Vince. I know that high ground phase numbers can adversely affect depth but those results seem really weak. Any ideas are welcome. This is not my first Tesoro.

jmaclen

• Like 1

Our dirt in Florida isn't anywhere near that mineralized,  but my Mojave will hit the 8" coins in my test garden with the sensitivity set to max.  Their service is second to none though. So if something is wrong with the detector or coil they will definitely get it fixed.  Hope it performs well in your soil when returned .    Noah

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 9:52 PM, AuWanderer said:

Always enjoyed my Tesoro Compadre and Silver u max..

I received word today from Tesoro that my new Mojave was checked and no problems were found. They suggested that I needed a different model (with manual ground balance, etc. and more money) for the high mineralization in my area. The great folks at Serious Detecting are letting me return the Mojave for a full refund.

My old Cutlass II microMax was out performing the new Mojave by 2" to 3" inches on air and depth tests with much cleaner signal responses and way less chatter. So, instead of replacing the Cutlass II I will just keep it and continue to enjoy it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I received word today from Tesoro that my new Mojave was checked and no problems were found. They suggested that I needed a different model (with manual ground balance, etc. and more money) for the high mineralization in my area. The great folks at Serious Detecting are letting me return the Mojave for a full refund.

My old Cutlass II microMax was out performing the new Mojave by 2" to 3" inches on air and depth tests with much cleaner signal responses and way less chatter. So, instead of replacing the Cutlass II I will just keep it and continue to enjoy it.

Thats a bummer.  I thought they touted the Mojave as being made to deal with high mineral areas?

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And for a $250 detector it probably does well. You do get something for the money spending a little more of it. 

Very well put sir. 

I dont have the high mineral to contend with in Florida. I am definitely impressed with its ability on tiny jewelry items though. I’ve found two sub 1/2 gram childs gold rings with it so far and a handful of gold stud earrings.  Both of the rings were 5-6” depth. 

The audio is also very good for the money.  Mixed metal tabs and canslaw have a very mushy sound compared to rings and coins. 

Doesnt hold a candle to my explorer2 on coins but on the tiny jewelry items its a beast. 

• Like 1

Hi,

I totally agree with you Steve and Tabzilla. The Mojave does what it is made for very well I'm sure. I was looking for an easy to operate, trouble-free, fun detector that I could take out for an hour or two and enjoy or quickly teach friends or family to do the same. I already have several VLF mid-range detectors with all of the features necessary to find anything metallic at up to 18". As much as I love Tesoros, I just don't need a Vaquero or Outlaw. So, for what I bought it for, the Mojave just didn't work for me as a fun detector.

Jeff McClendon

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who lives in Pa. The area he lives in is pretty high mineralized and huge problem with hot rocks. He knows many people who have sold different high end detectors that can't handle the ground and struggle with hot rocks. He got a Mojave and when he got it he was having issues with it going off everywhere. He sent it in they fixed a wire in the control housing and when he got it back he was super impressed with the detector