New Minelab Gold Monster 1000

So... have I missed anything over the multiple topics on the gold monster or has no larger coils been announced? Or atleast are any going to be built for the future?

other than a few action shots this is about the last selling point for me' everything else looks pretty good and iv even got a spare carbon fiber shaft ready too! Although the STD 3 pc is quite appealing for a pack in ?

• Like 1

They only but barely have announced the primary product release! Right now 5" round and 10" elliptical is all that is being talked about. I would not be surprised to see a larger coil if the GM1000 sells like I think it will, but we all know not to hold our breath when it comes to the Minelab coil department! :biggrin:

minelab-gold-monster-1000-studio.jpg

7 hours ago, LukeOzDigger said:

So... have I missed anything over the multiple topics on the gold monster or has no larger coils been announced?

One of the things about VLFs (not just the GM1000, but the VLF technology as a whole) is that VLFs are very affected by ground mineralization. If you have moderate to high mineralization and throw on a large coil, you end up seeing a lot of mineralization and you may find you need to turn the gain way down to stabilize it and as a result, you may not be gaining any depth with your Big Coil (it possible you may even lose depth). High frequency VLFs maximize this effect and make it worse. This is a part of why there is not a 14 or 15 inch coil for the GB2 - even though it is popular and has been around for 20+ years. (Steve maybe knows of a really big coil for the GB2 - not the standard larger one - but I've never heard of a really big coil for the GB2 or the GMT either). I've know guys who have strapped a 15 inch coil on a mid frequency machine like the GB Pro and were disappointed with how much ground noise they heard. Normally to use a big coil effectively, you need to be running a coin machine with a low frequency like 3 khz - fine for coins but not too good for gold.

I don't know Minelab's plans with respect for a big coil (like some you see for the CTX 3030) for the GM 1000, but for the reasons above, it would not surprise me if there was no larger coil forthcoming.  PI detectors and ZVT like the GPZ are not affected in the same way by the ground mineralization and since mineralization is so common in the gold fields, Thats why I do most of my detecting with a PI (the SDC 2300) or a ZVT machine (the GPZ 7000).

There are certainly applications for a VLF gold machine and I've used my GB2 for years. I have some good things in mind for the GM1000 when it comes out, but its not going to replace my GPZ or the SDC.

• Like 3

There is a 14" elliptical coil for the Gold Bug 2 - I found my 5 oz nugget at Ganes Creek with one. There is also a 14" coil for the GMT. The 13" Ultimate is one of the best coils I ran on the Gold Bug Pro. I agree very large coils can be counterproductive on a VLF. However, coils larger than a 10" elliptical for VLF detectors are extremely common and can under the right circumstances add depth and obviously better ground coverage. It seems to me Chris you are assuming Luke wants a GIANT coil when in fact something like a 14" elliptical may be more what he has in mind. Something like that would be very practical for better ground coverage, and in milder ground provide more depth on larger gold nuggets.

I am not arguing with what you are saying overall Chris but there is a middle ground. I will certainly be pushing for a larger coil for the GM1000. A 14" elliptical should be great for lots of places in both Africa, Nevada, Alaska and anywhere else you have milder ground.

steve-herschbach-5 ounce-nugget-ganes-creek-alaska-2001.jpg

• Like 1

The 15"X13" coil for the high frequency Gold Racer is fantastic!  I haven't tried it for gold hunting but I have pulled 9" coins park hunting in bad ground with it. 

Bryan

• Like 1

OK, so there larger coils that I was not aware of. I guess that I spend so much time in moderate to heavy mineralization that I tend to ignore that there are some mild gold locations. With larger coils on high frequency VLFs, you need to be choosy - many locations will have mineralization great enough that you may not gain any depth with the large coils, and its possible to even lose depth with them.  However in spots with real mild mineralization they can be useful.

• Like 4

Yes' I was just refering to a 14" sized larger coil any bigger than that is a pain, the GB2 14" is hopeless in Oz soil but it does work, The GMT 14" works pretty good overall in tough soil.

minelab have a tendency to not release products that might fail unfortuantly if the Monster hasn't a large coil option it's going to be In the same boat as a SDC so a larger coil for the monster I believe  is almost a must, well... for a guy trying to replace an old GMT with minelabs new tech it is.

The Gold Bug 2 14" coil has a harder time in bad soil being a concentric, plus the higher frequency. The GMT 14" is a DD coil, so advantage there, plus running at 48 kHz. My tests on the GMT always had it doing better than the Gold Bug 2 for depth in bad ground, although the Bug always had that edge on the tiniest of stuff. No surprise then we see the GM1000 at 45 khz and with a 14" DD coil plus Minelabs ground tracking it might be a superior rig - for a VLF. Certainly lighter than the GMT. The Gold Monster looks a lot like something White's could have done many years ago but did not.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Gold Monster looks a lot like something White's could have done many years ago but did not.

...yep, coulda, shoulda...  :unsure: 

LARGO

New guy here. 

Was a Minelab dealer for a while.

I am just curious about this new machine. I watched the video and as usual Minelab did a good job tweaking interest in their new offering.

If it's been asked and answered I apologize for asking it again. 

Is there a threshold and threshold adjustment for this Detector? I didn't hear it in the video. I could only hear audio tones of targets and the loud techno music.

Thanks