New Minelab Gold Monster 1000

White's put out a low end of the GMT that didn't have a threshold called a GMZ. I didn't use it a lot but a friend did and he was happy how great the detector detect. I did swing it some and it was odd for me that it didn't have a threshold being all my others did. I had to check it ever so often to be sure it was working.

I sold it to a guy that was going into Mexico to hunt around some old mines that he has access to. The good thing he can talk and look like he's home. I myself you wouldn't find me down there being I like me lots.

Chuck

PS I was talking by text to Rob and he said he has 20 on the first order. So if you want to be one of the first to come on here for show & tell here is your time to shine. 

The GMZ was a hot little unit put out by Whites that could use GMT coils. It was not a stripped down GMT, more like a super hot Classic 1. It was manual ground balance, no discrimination.

It actually worked real well. See the Owners Manual for a picture of some GMZ gold. However, it had no threshold and guess what, lots of old timers like me had a tough time with that. Old habits do die hard. The real reason the GMZ at 3.4 lbs never took off though was simple. Almost zero features for $499 discounted to $450 at the same time a basic Gold Bug could be had for $499 with discrimination, ground grab, LCD display, 2.5 lbs. If Whites had dropped the price $100 they would have moved more of these. Instead, dealers like me sold against them as a reason why you really wanted a GMT!

IMG_0253.JPG

Another way to say it is that instead of the conventinal narrow sensitivity range of a 45 kHz VLF machine, the GM1000's ultra-wide  dynamic range VLF technology expands its sensitivity range, thereby enabling it to be just as sensitive to larger, deeper nuggets as an 18 kHz detector and at the same time just as sensitive to the tiniest flakes of gold as a 71 kHz detector. That represents a real breakthrough in VLF technology. 

• Like 1

Almost but not quite. 45 kHz is 45 kHz though they could certainly use all those other factors to get that extra range. Minelab's own chart shows an area where 18 kHz would still have the edge and an area where 71 kHz still has the edge - right where the respective arrows point. I am placing no bets on the tiniest of tiny against a manually tuned Gold Bug 2 quite yet! What they are trying to show is they think their design spans the range to get the bulk of what you would get using an 18 kHz and a 71 kHz detector one after the other, but with one machine.

Misdirection in a way. The real question is how it compares to a GMT at 48 kHz. Not being much of a hair splitter myself I am guessing close enough I will not care. If it even just matched a GMT in what is effectively a much less expensive and lighter weight package I think that would be great!

minelab-gold-monster-1000-45-khz-operating-frequency-compared-large.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am convinced that anything I can discern with my ear should be possible with the proper signal processing if you can afford to throw enough processing power at it.

I'm thinking Minelab may have done just that; according to the brochure:

An 18 kHz detector will normally have a depth advantage on nuggets ≥ 1.0g over a basic mid-frequency detector, and a 71 kHz detector will have a depth advantage on nuggets ≤ 0.1g. The advanced GOLD MONSTER 1000 uses an intermediate 45 kHz frequency AND a high speed 24-bit signal processor. This primary combination greatly boosts sensitivity to gold beyond that of other single frequency VLF detectors over a wide range of nugget sizes, without introducing excess noise and false signals. 

• Like 2

Glad someone else brought up the GMZ, I for one have had 3 of these from whites and believe me they all paid for themselfs it's the detector to give to a tag along mate that's just wants a lazy day out or the wife's detector that's not going keep calling you over to check a target out etc... it just works! No frills detecting.

when I discovered the minelab monster was going to be a similar audio' well that completely sold me! but for myself not wifey :), once again no frills detecting but even tho few but very cool additions over a GMZ' I can't wait! But man I hope it has a large coil option...

GMT? Well nothing beats a screaming threshold first thing but stopping for a break is Always high on the list.

Will anyone really miss a threshold? I doubt it as most detectorists I know don't know how to use it correctly anyway.

come on MONSTER!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I used to swear automatic tracking was a bad idea. Then I got my hands on the SDC 2300. Whether the GM1000 has a threshold or not is not important if it gets the job done. I do prefer a threshold because that has what has worked for me in the past. No saying what the future brings however.

I would not mind a machine that was just dead quiet and went beep on gold if I was confident I was giving up nothing to have that happen. I am convinced that anything I can discern with my ear should be possible with the proper signal processing if you can afford to throw enough processing power at it. Threshold style detecting will probably go the way of the 8 track one of these days.

Steve ,

I'm not sure if i like the idea of no threshold . I run my SDC on threshold 4 and can barely hear it .

The lightest variation is so easy to pick up on this quiet audio . How will I pick up this variation without threshold , surely it couldn't make a sound that I should pick up . To back up my theory my gold tally has improved 30% in the past 6 months since adjusting , including picking up gold in 3 favourite diggings that I hadn't been able to pull a nugget for some visits .

I'm not that technical so hoping this monster has something up its sleeve that you can explain to me .

Cheers

goldrat

I may have been unclear. First, everyone is jumping to conclusions about the GM1000 and whether it has a threshold or not. All that has been stated for sure is it lacks a threshold control. That implies but is no guarantee there is no threshold sound. Second, I am not trying to sell anyone on the GM1000 or the idea of not having a threshold. I to date prefer having a threshold myself. I was simply commenting that it is conceivable a detector can find gold successfully without a threshold.

The only reason you prefer running with a threshold is that in your experience doing so results in more gold. Same with me. But what if that were not the case? What if the detector found gold just as well running silent as with a threshold? Would you still want the threshold noise if listening to it served no practical purpose?

Again, I am not saying that is the case with the GM1000. I just do not find the concept of listening to a threshold to be an end in itself, and if machine can be designed to find gold just as well running silent as running with a threshold I don't have a problem with that.

Back to reality. The GM1000 is aimed at novices, not experts. It may very well run quiet to make it easier for new people to get up and running. If that is the case, some people may not like it. Some may love it for the very same reason. I promise the GM1000 does not make all other detectors obsolete and that it will not suit everyone everywhere. We have to be real - it is an $800 single frequency detector, not the be all and end all of detecting. It will not for one second change the fact that 90% of my detecting this year will be with a GPZ 7000. It might find a few tiny bits a SDC misses, but it sure won't replace your SDC!

Frankly, the only people who should have a care is anyone ready to spend around $800 for a VLF nugget  detector. If that is the case, they would do well to wait a bit and see what develops with the Gold Monster. Other than that, life goes on.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, goldrat said:

I'm not sure if i like the idea of no threshold . I run my SDC on threshold 4 and can barely hear it .

It does have a volume control. Even if the threshold is factory set, you can still turn up the volume until you can hear it.

• Like 5