Minelab SDC 2300 "My Detector Would Have Found That!"

Hi Strick,

Welcome to the forum. The SDC 2300 is a great little detector. I will make another post with some more gold found with mine in a few minutes. In the meantime, here is the latest video from Minelab featuring some well known people finding gold with the SDC 2300

Thanks so much Steve. I found my first gold ring this past weekend on the beach (only 10K) but its a start. Heading to the little town of Washington this weekend for an ATV/metal detecting adventure and then a back pack trip into the trinity alps weekend after that. Looking forward to prospecting wit this cool little metal detector. Thanks again for the welcome.

strick

It would probably surprise people to hear I am moving my GPX to second place in my prospecting kit. The SDC is now my main machine and my GPX will only come out if I think there may be larger nuggets left the SDC missed. In a large number of locations for pure geological reasons that will not be the case.

Not all places have large nuggets lurking at depth. Entire districts exist where a 1 gram nugget is the best you might hope for. Areas with shallow bedrock abound and getting lots of depth is not an issue on shallow bedrock. There are places where the SDC will serve every bit as well as a primary detector as a GPX. The secret is in using a detector to best leverage its capability. For much of the terrain I hunt (very steep, shallow bedrock, lots of gullies, large rocks, potholes, etc.) the SDC makes every bit as much sense as a primary prospecting detector as the GPX. Chances are I can hit a spot with the SDC first and when done there will be nothing for the GPX to find. The opposite is probably not the case, so I may as well go in with the SDC first.

But if I want to cover lots of ground, or if I do think a large nugget may be lurking, then I am still relying on the GPX to deliver the goods.

It would probably surprise people to hear I am moving my GPX to second place in my prospecting kit. The SDC is now my main machine and my GPX will only come out if I think there may be larger nuggets left the SDC missed.

Rob Allison recently made a similar remark about making his SDC 2300 his primary detector. See:

http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/10960-minelab-sdc-2300-continues-to-amaze-me/

Which is also where I made a similar remark, prompting this post. Normally in the past I might grab both my GPX 5000 and Gold Bug 2. Now I think most of the time I am just going to grab the SDC 2300 and call it good. Truly amazing since I thought a year ago that the SDC would be dead on arrival.