Recommendation On Locations And Multiple Detectors?

Absolutely agree on the GPX5000 being the best on the market. 

I'm leaning towards buying both a Garrett ATX (with the 12" DD and 20" mono) and a Garrett AT Pro for now. A deep PI and a great discriminating VLF and both waterproof for about $3K. This seems good for two people working together. We can examine each other's targets. 

Steve's comment on 100 hrs of detector experience is often ignored by newcomers.  I personally had been hunting with the various iterations of GPX in the desert southwest for several years with decent luck, but it wasn't until I went to Moore Creek and spent 10 to 15 hrs a day for 2 weeks that I began to truly understand my detector and my own detecting flaws.  It's not as simple as swinging a coil and digging where it goes beep.  I followed behind many newcomers at Moore Creek and picked up the gold they missed.  Surface trash, bullets and hot rocks will discourage many an ardent newcomer.   After 20 years of detecting I still get frustrated when a decent gold field is littered with .22 bullets and birdshot and I end up walking away.  I think I was pretty lucky and found my first nugget after only 20 hrs of detecting.  You would do well to try and hook up with an experienced operator in the area you wish to hunt.  I have been lucky and found a few guys out there who will help a newcomer and I benefited greatly from their advice.   Any of Steve's recommendations for a detector will work and find gold within its particular specialty.  Hot ground separates the good from the really good but you still need some experience with your machine to understand its limitations and make appropriate adjustments.   We don't want to dampen your gold fever, but help you recognize the stumbling blocks we all faced when starting out.  If you find yourself in Southern CA and AZ, drop me a note and I'll lend a hand.

• Like 1

Decided against the Garrett ATX.

I just purchased a new Minelab GPX 4800 with the 11 inch DD and 18 inch mono coils from Rob at http://robsdetectors.com. I very highly recommend doing business with Rob. 

This was a very tough decision. I had favored the ATX's simplicity, waterproofing and excellent value/price. But after deeply considering everything Steve and Rob said (plus many other people's views and very deep google searches) I realized the GPX is a better investment and a better machine to learn and master. The GPX beats the ATX on weight, comfort, battery design, battery life, coil selection, aftermarket add-ons, fine tuning and has a nicer sounding audio tone. The ATX's audio tone has a distorted mosquito-like sound which bothered me. And I worried about the ATX's weight. 

Minelab produces a more polished product in many areas. The higher price is justified. 

Thank you Rob and Steve!!

I'm as green as you Quant.  Thanks to Steve and all the others here that have posted I've been picking up information here and there.  I am thinking just like real estate, the 3 most important things are location, location, location, then experience and equipment.   Are you a member of Gold Prospectors Association of America(GPAA)?  Membership includes a Mining Guide access to claims and gold pan, woo hoo!  At least you will be on some claims where you will not get shot. 

Got my detectors down to the point that if I get in a gold bearing location good chance I'll be able to find it unless it's just to fine.  Heading out to WY, and NV in another couple of weeks.  Taking the xterra 705, MX5, and my Whites PI detectors.  Maybe we will cross paths while roaming around out west.  Best of luck.

• The title was changed to Recommendation On Locations And Multiple Detectors?