Interesting Thread On Tom Dankowski Testing The Prototype Nokta Impact

On his forum at http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,121626

This gives a very rare, in fact as far as I know, never before seen inside look at the prototyping process and field test reporting. Thomas Dankowski is a true "engineer nerd" (I say that as a compliment) and so goes to extreme lengths and detail beyond what would normally be seen. His extremely lengthy and copious notes also provide many insights about what to possibly expect from the new Nokta Impact. Keep in mind things changed from the early reports to the final product so things Tom talks about early on change at later dates. Quoting from his thread out of context could cause a lot of misperceptions to arise.

The thread well illustrates something I have observed for some time. When it comes to max depth, standard single frequency induction balance detecting technology is tapped out. Look at the struggle to obtain not another inch but even just another 0.1 inch of depth. The main advantages have come as of late in recovery speed and the ability to separate closely spaced targets. Max depth however is at a standstill. Tom's testing just confirms what I have been seeing for years. It is near impossible to discern more than hair splitting differences for max depth between most top of the line VLF detectors these days.

nokta-impact-3-frequency-metal-detector.jpg

nokta-impact-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 3

I have to go with Steve on this. While a nice top end machine that is capable of many types of hunting, it really isn't doing anything much different from what is already out there.  I feel I have it covered with what I currently have and enjoy using all of them too.

Tom

2 hours ago, canslawhero said:

interesting that in the video intro the michigan fellow posted, he states he dug a 12" indian head penny.

realistic?

If you follow along on Tom's thread you will see that he considers the max obtainable depth on a dime in the mildest of mild soil (Florida) to be a solid 12".

However, he goes on to test later in some bad ground 5 hours drive away, and the depth is cut to less than 7".

My ground here in Reno is very bad, and in the worse sandy/gravel spots 5-6" depth on a dime is all I expect when getting a good solid target id. More if there is topsoil on top of or mixed in with the natural soil.

The number one thing missing one the Internet is a true indication of soil conditions. So you get people back east talking all the time about 10"+ depths on dimes, and people in the west thinking they have bad detectors because they are seeing half that.

So yeah, a 12" penny can be had in very mild ground. Not a chance in bad ground.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jackpine said:

I have to go with Steve on this. While a nice top end machine that is capable of many types of hunting, it really isn't doing anything much different from what is already out there.  I feel I have it covered with what I currently have and enjoy using all of them too.

Tom

Hi Tom,

When it comes to VLF I think about all we can expect is better mixes of features and ergonomics at lower prices. I do like being able to shift on the fly from a low frequency to a high frequency, or even multi frequency, so I think that is where the real action is. Lighter, more ergonomic, lots of room there for improvement the in multi frequency designs. But simply getting more depth? That is going to take something like Minelab adding full discrimination to the GPZ. I do think that will happen with time so I do think we will see a day when the discrimination/depth barrier is broken. Just not with the same old VLF tech repackaged over and over.

Really early yet but the Impact might be the ultimate trash busting detector. there are a lot of features, some of what Keith alluded to in his post about audio adjutability that can be used not only in the iron range but the aluminum range if I read it correctly.  That 4x7 coil they have for it looks like the one I have for my Gold Racer which is shockingly deep for it size.  I absolutely love that coil.  There Is also some type of discrimination on one of the All Metal Modes.   Three different frequencies that sound like they actually work like 3 different frequencies unlike the multi frequency machines out now and 12 different modes makes for a complex but possibly powerful tool..

Bryan