California Flooding, Part 2?

A comparatively minor storm has just passed through, and although we are not at flood stage anywhere, all the rivers are rolling along at a fast clip with every little drainage flowing - even stuff that almost never has water. Small streams that are normally just a trickle are already full of water. Any good sized storm could bring another round of serious flooding because everything is pretty much full already. The ground has no capacity to absorb any more water.  The storm coming in late Sunday through Tuesday looks to be a fairly powerful and wet one. Been watching it on the weather forecast and every round of modeling seems like they are upping the amount of rain and the impact it will have. The forecast I look at is currently calling for over 2 inches in Reno and around 5 inches in Quincy.

Caltrans is warning the Northern Sierra counties:  "there will be heavy rain and high snow levels resulting in increased likelihood of flooding of rivers and streams."

• Like 2

In one area of a claim I have there are normally two small ponds, they have now turned into one small lake.....Here in Foresthill there has been 17.91 inches of rain just in February so far.... crazy weather for sure

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Randy Lunn said:

This summer is going to be GREAT!

That's what I keep telling my self, no 4wd so I can't get out for a lot of these glorious wet weather hunts people keep posting about.

• Like 1

Took this photo yesterday where the North and Middle Fork of the American River merge, just below Auburn Ca.  The water from the Middle Fork has been much higher this year, but still moving gold.  The North Fork is the river on the left, moving left to right.

Brian.

American River.JPG

• Like 2

We had heavy rain and strong wind pass through the Santa Cruz mountains yesterday, power went out in my area yesterday morning when a couple of large trees took down a half dozen power poles and dropped them in the middle of the main road into town. Poles are still laying in the street and light fading, so looks like it's going to be a while before the powers back. Minor inconvience compared to those dealing with flooding. My niece lives in Morgan hill not far from coyote creek and it looks like their neighborhood is flooding again. Hope everyone is doing ok and looking forward to blue sky and getting out...

• Like 1