How Deep Can I Detect Coins & Relics?

Hi steve Herschbach Sir

Hope you are good

Sir i want to buy metal detector that can detect upto 15 feet

I belong to pakistan 

Here the soil is mineralized

Some people suggested me GPZ 7000

Some suggested the jeo hunter 3d dual pack (made in turkey)

I have also searched the BR Royal Analyzer Basic which is launched recently in 2017 

Sir i want the best detector thats why i need your help 

Pls suggest me the best detector .

Waiting for your reply Sir

Hello Steve Herschbach

Right sir but that is with my friend and he dont have knowledge how to operate it .

I also want to buy for my self .

Gold Coins , bronze pot and bronze and gold made buddha statues at 7 to 13 feet depth.

I was asking for the setting of GPZ 7000 just because i thought if this detector is useful then i wll also buy it for myself.

The main problem is there are more than 60 metal detectors here with people and no detector meets our need . 

Now i want to have best detector for me b/c i dont want to waste my time and money.

Kindly help me Sir.

These are bronze pot and gold coin 

Studio_20170220_063138.jpg

Studio_20170220_063706.jpg

• Like 2

Good day, Lunk

Pls tell me

That at what depth the GPZ 7000 can detect coins and bronze pot 

And also pls tell me

If i try these settings will it affect its depth or not .

What may be the best settings for to detect deep objects at 7 to 13 feet .

Greetings Sajuu,

I know that the GPZ 7000 can detect coins the size of a U.S. quarter dollar or larger at 2 feet with the stock GPZ 14 coil, but I doubt that even the GPZ 19 coil would hit a large object like a bronze pot at 13 feet in mineralized ground...maybe at 7 feet. You may be better off using ground penetrating radar for such large and deeply buried items. I've also seen large, deeply buried iron meteorites recovered by using pulse induction detectors with homemade coils several feet in diameter. 

• Like 1

I think you may want to research ground penetrating radar, etc. A two-box detector MIGHT reach those depths on large pots and iron boxes...not single coins ....

With my 7000, I can faintly detect old metal cans 16 oz size) at four or five feet...but they are on the surface.

You will have to find the best settings for your area by experience...good luck

fred

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sajuu said:

Hello Lunk

I am thankful to you for helping me 

What is that minelab GMK you mentioned 

Pls send the settings for medium mineralized soil and for Normal also 

Hi Sajuu,

You're welcome. 

GMk is just how I refer to the new Minelab Gold Monster 1000:

http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=305146

It uses VLF technology and will not go nearly as deep as a pulse induction machine in mineralized ground. The GMk will not be available until April according to Minelab.

• Like 1

Hello Sajuu,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a classic problem with metal detecting, and many items cannot be found with current technology.

The basic issue is that metal detectors actually detect the ground. The ground itself is one large target to a detector. Let's call the ground the "noise".

The items you seek create the "signal".

The deeper you try and detect something, the more ground there is in the way. So the deeper you try to detect, the more "noise" the detector is seeing.

The size of the item you seek is critical. Small items create small signals. Large items create large signals. The larger the item, the deeper it may be detected.

The problem we are talking about exists in many ways as we try to see anything or hear anything far away, and it is the signal to noise ratio

If we use sight as an analogy it is like you trying to see a light in the fog. The fog is like the ground and it makes it hard for you to see far. It is hard to see a flashlight (a small signal) very far in the fog (noise). It is easier to see a lighthouse in the fog because the light is much stronger (large signal).

In the link above it talks about sound and hearing. It is hard for you to hear a faint sound (signal) when there is a lot of background sound (noise).

A coin is a small signal and hard for the detector see far into the ground. A detector can see larger objects deeper into the ground.

All methods of detecting try to minimise the ground noise in order to see target signals deeper into the ground. No matter the method, there are limits.

Coin size targets can only be found to depths of less than two feet. The vast majority of common coin finds are made less than a foot deep. A large bronze pot perhaps 4-5 feet. A buried chest perhaps 6-8 feet. Anything over 10 feet will have to be very large, like a buried fuel tank.

The most used and well proven detectors for what you are doing "treasure hunting" are the two box detectors. There is a previous thread on this subject.

The White's TM808 has a chart included with it's information I suggest you study very well. Keep in mind manufacturer depth quotes are absolute best case. I tend to assume the depths reached in real conditions will be less.

whites-tm-808.jpg

These depths present realistic depths that can be obtained on these types of targets with the best technology available of any type that can be purchased. The problem is no matter the technology, there are limits to the signal to noise ratio problem as it exists when dealing with the ground.

Ground radar does a better job of not seeing the ground noise, but therefore is not good at seeing small items either. It is expensive and best used to search for larger items, like a 5 gallon can or a chest.

There are people who are very anxious to take your money by promising things that cannot be done. My recommendation is you use the chart above as a reliable guide, and be very cautious in investing any money in promises that greatly exceed what the chart shows. I know this chart to be relatively reliable from personal experience.

The secret to successful treasure hunting is to use well proven existing technology to search for items that are within reach. Trying to find items beyond reach of well proven technology is a way to spend a great deal of money, with very little chance of better results. We all on this forum go look for gold nuggets that can be found less than three feet into the earth. We do not waste time trying to do more than that because nuggets are not large enough to detect much deeper, and technology does not exist yet to let us do it. Minelab Max Depth Chart

For a jar full of coins or smaller, traditional hand held metal detectors such as are discussed on this forum are as good as you are going to get. For much larger items there are other options.

I recommend either a White's TM808 or a Fisher Gemini 3 for larger items, like a very large bronze pot or larger. For items both large and small, I recommend a Minelab GPX 5000 with a selection of large coil sizes. The GPX 5000 has coils up to three feet in diameter that can mounted on a cart or even be pulled behind a vehicle.

Long Range Locators = Buyer Beware!

Minelab GPX 5000 with 3 foot coil mounted on push cart:

gpx-mothership-cart.jpg

fisher-gemini-3-two-box-detector.jpg

• Like 9