Hi steve Herschbach Sir

Hope you are good

Sir i want to buy metal detector that can detect upto 15 feet

I belong to pakistan 

Here the soil is mineralized

Some people suggested me GPZ 7000

Some suggested the jeo hunter 3d dual pack (made in turkey)

I have also searched the BR Royal Analyzer Basic which is launched recently in 2017 

Sir i want the best detector thats why i need your help 

Pls suggest me the best detector .

Waiting for your reply Sir

Hello Steve Herschbach

Right sir but that is with my friend and he dont have knowledge how to operate it .

I also want to buy for my self .

Gold Coins , bronze pot and bronze and gold made buddha statues at 7 to 13 feet depth.

I was asking for the setting of GPZ 7000 just because i thought if this detector is useful then i wll also buy it for myself.

The main problem is there are more than 60 metal detectors here with people and no detector meets our need . 

Now i want to have best detector for me b/c i dont want to waste my time and money.

Kindly help me Sir.

These are bronze pot and gold coin 

Studio_20170220_063138.jpg

Studio_20170220_063706.jpg

• Like 2

Good day, Lunk

Pls tell me

That at what depth the GPZ 7000 can detect coins and bronze pot 

And also pls tell me

If i try these settings will it affect its depth or not .

What may be the best settings for to detect deep objects at 7 to 13 feet .

Greetings Sajuu,

I know that the GPZ 7000 can detect coins the size of a U.S. quarter dollar or larger at 2 feet with the stock GPZ 14 coil, but I doubt that even the GPZ 19 coil would hit a large object like a bronze pot at 13 feet in mineralized ground...maybe at 7 feet. You may be better off using ground penetrating radar for such large and deeply buried items. I've also seen large, deeply buried iron meteorites recovered by using pulse induction detectors with homemade coils several feet in diameter. 

• Like 1

I think you may want to research ground penetrating radar, etc. A two-box detector MIGHT reach those depths on large pots and iron boxes...not single coins ....

With my 7000, I can faintly detect old metal cans 16 oz size) at four or five feet...but they are on the surface.

You will have to find the best settings for your area by experience...good luck

fred

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sajuu said:

Hello Lunk

I am thankful to you for helping me 

What is that minelab GMK you mentioned 

Pls send the settings for medium mineralized soil and for Normal also 

Hi Sajuu,

You're welcome. 

GMk is just how I refer to the new Minelab Gold Monster 1000:

http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=305146

It uses VLF technology and will not go nearly as deep as a pulse induction machine in mineralized ground. The GMk will not be available until April according to Minelab.

• Like 1

Hello Sajuu,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a classic problem with metal detecting, and many items cannot be found with current technology.

The basic issue is that metal detectors actually detect the ground. The ground itself is one large target to a detector. Let's call the ground the "noise".

The items you seek create the "signal".

The deeper you try and detect something, the more ground there is in the way. So the deeper you try to detect, the more "noise" the detector is seeing.

The size of the item you seek is critical. Small items create small signals. Large items create large signals. The larger the item, the deeper it may be detected.

The problem we are talking about exists in many ways as we try to see anything or hear anything far away, and it is the signal to noise ratio

If we use sight as an analogy it is like you trying to see a light in the fog. The fog is like the ground and it makes it hard for you to see far. It is hard to see a flashlight (a small signal) very far in the fog (noise). It is easier to see a lighthouse in the fog because the light is much stronger (large signal).

In the link above it talks about sound and hearing. It is hard for you to hear a faint sound (signal) when there is a lot of background sound (noise).

A coin is a small signal and hard for the detector see far into the ground. A detector can see larger objects deeper into the ground.

All methods of detecting try to minimise the ground noise in order to see target signals deeper into the ground. No matter the method, there are limits.

Coin size targets can only be found to depths of less than two feet. The vast majority of common coin finds are made less than a foot deep. A large bronze pot perhaps 6-7 feet. A buried chest perhaps 10 - 15 feet.

The most used and well proven detectors for what you are doing "treasure hunting" are the two box detectors. There is a previous thread on this subject.

The White's TM808 has a chart included with it's information I suggest you study very well. Keep in mind manufacturer depth quotes are absolute best case. I tend to assume the depths reached in real conditions will be less.

whites-tm-808.jpg

These depths present realistic depths that can be obtained on these types of targets with the best technology available of any type that can be purchased. The problem is no matter the technology, there are limits to the signal to noise ratio problem as it exists when dealing with the ground.

Ground radar does a better job of not seeing the ground noise, but therefore is not good at seeing small items either. It is expensive and best used to search for larger items, like a 5 gallon can or a chest.

There are people who are very anxious to take your money by promising things that cannot be done. My recommendation is you use the chart above as a reliable guide, and be very cautious in investing any money in promises that greatly exceed what the chart shows. I know this chart to be relatively reliable from personal experience.

The secret to successful treasure hunting is to use well proven existing technology to search for items that are within reach. Trying to find items beyond reach of well proven technology is a way to spend a great deal of money, with very little chance of better results. We all on this forum go look for gold nuggets that can be found less than three feet into the earth. We do not waste time trying to do more than that because nuggets are not large enough to detect much deeper, and technology does not exist yet to let us do it. Minelab Max Depth Chart

For a jar full of coins or smaller, traditional hand held metal detectors such as are discussed on this forum are as good as you are going to get. For much larger items there are other options.

I recommend either a White's TM808 or a Fisher Gemini 3 for larger items, like a very large bronze pot or larger. For items both large and small, I recommend a Minelab GPX 5000 with a selection of large coil sizes. The GPX 5000 has coils up to three feet in diameter that can mounted on a cart or even be pulled behind a vehicle.

Long Range Locators = Buyer Beware!

Minelab GPX 5000 with 3 foot coil mounted on push cart:

gpx-mothership-cart.jpg

fisher-gemini-3-two-box-detector.jpg

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By F350Platinum
      Maybe the finds were light but the trash was heavy. I'm getting nervous that the farmers will show up and I'll be out of the fields for the rest of the year. I've never dug so many bullets, all either vintage non military, or brand new black powder, mostly in the 50 caliber range.
      I was hunting a roadside in this field near my house today. There was a horse racing track here long ago, the farmer "killed" the side of the road it was on, not sure whether he did it so I could check it out, but we did discuss it a while ago.
      This is only half the road looking back to the entrance, I'm pretty sure it's about a half mile long or more. This field is over 200 acres.
      Didn't find much:
      A fired musket ball, a ramrod tip, an odd shaped bullet that was interesting enough to keep, a 1912 wheat penny and an unidentifiable wheat, and my favorites of the day, most of a 1600s spectacle buckle and an 1800s 2 piece button. Looks like the button was decorated but bronze disease has taken its toll.
      Just before I wrapped up the farmers stopped by and gave me some great intel about this area. They figure I have another week or so before they plant. Great guys!
    • By WhiteRabbit
      Hello, now here’s an opener that might just get me banned on my first post!
      Bear with me, my intentions are pure :)
      Does anyone know if it would be possible to jam an MD signal? The reason I ask is to combat the evident problem we have in the UK with “nighthawks”, illegal detectorists.
      Over here, any landowner can grant permission for detecting on their land (with caveats, known historic sites are protected by law). What often happens is that such a permission is granted and a detectorist innocently sets about his / her business. Someone less scrupulous spots this person and assumes there may be something important there, so shows up at night with a couple of friends and the landowner awakens to a field / lawn full of holes, then bans metal detecting.
      Historic sites are also looted.
      Just an off the wall question, how tricky would it be to build a device to block this on a piece of land? Anyone any ideas?
    • By ColonelDan
      99% of my detecting is done on central Florida beaches. Since it’s impossible to establish a well stocked test garden at a public beach, I sorta brought the beach home with me and developed my own private beach garden!

I cut slots in two large empty chlorine tablet buckets at various depths as shown from 2 -16 inches. I then filled one with New Smyrna Beach sand and the other with soil...for the few times I land hunt around here.

I embedded numerous examples of ferrous and non ferrous targets into paint stirring sticks. I also have several blank sticks I use for gold and silver jewelry as well as artifacts that I don’t want permanently attached to a stick.

I then insert the target(s) in the slots, each at its desired depth, and start scanning.

This allows me to rapidly change the targets, depth and relative position of each.  I can now test for sensitivity at depth as well as separation of ferrous and non-ferrous targets in a variety of scenarios using actual beach sand where I do my detecting.

If I want to test in wet salt sand, I just soak the bucket sand with authentic sea water that I also brought home from New Smyrna Beach...and the Atlantic Ocean never even missed it.  😉

Works for me.....
    • By F350Platinum
      Whooo, what a week. Back home from the beach, I didn't post my last hunt but I found .99 in change. 51 coins total, 3 rings, military button and some small stuff. No silvers. 😵 Got a 50 Centavos piece and 1 South African Rand, so I scored over $5. Oh, and an Anvil...
      My wife got food poisoning (she is ok now), my RV water heater element blew, and the outside faucet decided to crack and blow the knob out. Filled the underbelly with water. That lovely trifecta made us decide to head back a day early.
      I love beach hunting! It must be my luck but GB never went higher than 10, I only got EMI near a water tower with cell service on it. Clean, clean beach. You got what the Equinox said you did for the most part. Got many more beaches in my future!
      Today I hit the farm, decided to grid a farm house where scouting didn't turn up much. All I found in 4 hours was one 1994 dime and one button. I got a 36 on the Equinox, thought "yay!" And dug a huge crudely cast lead ingot. 😀 It's about 3" wide and is heavy. Yep, back on the farm.
      I guess we all have these days, you should see all the bottle caps and aluminum I dug to get this. Yikes!
      When I got home I had this waiting for me:
      It's a 1954 silver quarter cut to the Equinox coil shape. It came with a bead chain, I replaced it with a snake chain. Thus far I have only found two silver coins! Maybe it will be a voodoo talisman for the future. 😀 I thank everyone yet again for their advice and encouragement.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I always have my ears perked up for something new in metal detectors and metal detecting technology. I’m not educated enough to really get deep into the technical side of it, but I have a general layman's knowledge of the subject.

A couple years ago Carl Moreland, the Engineering Manager for White's Electronics, was interviewed on a radio show. I tripped over a reference to the interview on another forum and checked it out. It is very long, and near the end Carl dropped a bombshell. At least I thought so, but it went unnoticed and uncommented on in the metal detecting online world. I thought about posting it on a forum back then but decided to wait and see what developed. Here is the applicable portion of the interview:

Relic Roundup Radio Show, January 17, 2012, Interview with Carl Moreland, Engineering Manager, White’s Electronics
      http://en.1000mikes.com/app/archiveEntry.xhtml?archiveEntryId=260469

Transcript beginning at 50:57 mark:

Carl Moreland - “I can mention one technology that we’re working on because the patent has already been published… or the application, not the patent hasn't gone through yet. We’re working on something called half sine technology, which has actually been around since the 1960’s in geophysical prospecting applications. This is where instead of transmitting a sinusoidal signal you actually just transmit half of the sine and you can do that at extremely high voltages and high ? rates and so on. It’s technically not pulse induction but it’s not VLF either and it is a time domain method. And with that we can get really good depth and we can even get target id information and do discrimination and so forth.”

Can you see why I perked up at that? I am still amazed it did not get any notice at the time. Nothing happened for a long time. Then I got this PM from Rick Kempf recently:

Sent 29 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Was looking for info on my new SD 2100 this AM when I sort of fell down a rabbit hole of old forum posts and emerged reading Whites new patent. About the first thing I noticed was that you were cited in "prior art".

Here's what they cited: http://www.voy.com/76600/7/475.html

The patent is here: http://www.google.com/patents/US20110316541

Is this something you knew about? Just wondering.

Rick Kempf

I told Rick, yeah, heard about that. It was the patent finally being granted from the application Carl mentions in the interview. It was fun getting a mention in a patent though I think it was just the examiner studying up on the subject and finding my old post helpful in simplifying the subject.

For a long time the Holy Grail in metal detecting has been something that combines the target identification of an Induction Balance (IB or more commonly known as VLF) detector with depth of a Pulse Induction (PI) detector. There have been many promises and false starts over the years, and that was one reason I kept the radio interview mention quiet the last couple years. Frankly, I had half forgot about it until Rick brought the patent being granted to my attention. Notice the title:

Hybrid Induction Balance/Pulse Induction Metal Detector

A new hybrid metal detector combines induction balance and pulse induction technologies. Target signals are generated from a transmitted wave that has both induction balance and pulse current inducing characteristics and uses pertinent sampling of the receive data. Combining the two data sources provides eddy current target identification while excluding ground permeability and remanence obscuration.

Is it time to sing Hallelujah? Well, there is a big gap in between getting a patent and bringing a detector to market. Many patents get filed and you never even see something directly related to the patent. Maybe it looked good on paper but does not pan out well in reality for numerous reasons. So just because White's was granted this patent does not mean something is around the corner. However, they have been working on it for over two years already obviously. And it has been some time since White's put something new out. I do not count remakes of the MXT etc as new. So I think there is reason to be hopeful we may see something one of these days.

John Earle is one of the unsung heros in the industry. He had a hand in many of the best products at Compass Electronics before moving over to White's after Compass went under. To this day I have never used a VLF that goes any deeper than my old Compass Gold Scanner Pro. John was one of the brains involved in that, as well as the White's Goldmaster 3, regarded by many as being the pinnacle of the analog development of that model line. I was fortunate to have met John at the factory some years ago. He is listed as the inventor on the new patent. Half sine technology is also mentioned in an earlier patent filed by White's, again with John listed as inventor at http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7649356.pdf

Looks like serious stuff brewing. Bruce Candy of Minelab makes mention of half sine technology in a patent application at http://patents.com/us-20130154649.html which makes me wonder about the new "Super Gold Detector" he is working on. But it is this most recent patent by White's that seems to put the finest point on it. Maybe the Holy Grail of detecting is soon to be a reality. The fact it is White's certainly gives me more hope than what we have seen in the past.
      Edit May 2015 - see also White's patent for Constant Current Metal Detector
    • By kac
      Found this patent that Whites filed and got a patent on in 2014 on a hybrid IB/PI machine.
      https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110316541A1/en
      Curious if anyone heard anything about this. Maybe Garrett will take it on?