White's V3i And Vx3 Factory Master Reset

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

"I called Whites again today to ask about changing the VX3 to V3i and they won't do it. They did tell me it can be done since they are both the same other than software but won't because they feel it would cut into V3i sales."

10 years after hitting the market... the V3i is selling like cake, you know. ?

One other thing about the factory reset issue and the "cannot be done" fairytale. Users outside the US have been told for years that changing languages  and from inches to metric units both are V3i only features and not available on the VX3.

In the VX3's hidden factory reset menu you can select all languages available for the V3i and select metric units back and forth without any drawback. 432111195_perfectlydifferent.jpg.7949e3cab74e274a6898adfc12e47f1d.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello.

I know this is an older thread but may be someone knows the answer.

I'm going to buy a used V3i but how can I check if the "calibration" was hit (accedently) by the former user? Will it show the standard start-up screens and work anyway?

May be someone knows? Any help is appreciated.

I’m not sure simply entering calibration mode would do anything as I was always too cautious to even go there and look. There are no doubt things that need to be undertaken there to screw things up. But I’m 99% sure you’d never know it except by the machine being out of whack... acting like an uncalibrated detector. The existence of this feature was never supposed to leave the factory. Geotech (Carl) would know, hopefully he chimes in.

• Like 1

...Locator.......If someone on the SpectraV3... did a Master Reset ...., which would mean returning the spectrum to the factory settings ...., there is definitely a risk that in the Master reset menu he could also check the calibration reset ....

First of all .. I would verify the identification of the Spectra V3 on 3F multifrequency on some US coins where the exact ID is known, as a small test for ferrite .... and also a compact disc - which should give an ID of 0 to 1 ...

In case the ID of these items will match the table ID from Whites .. I think you have your detector .. okay ...

488569661_oktober9iphone5S2018106_DxO.jpg.7aefa3fe74515806b4768546b563747a.jpg

Alternatively, you can use the Ground Probe function in 3F multifrequency.
and verify the detector parameters in the field from the point of view of the correct Phase. ..

Even in this case, you can use ferrite to compare the value of the ferrite Phase on all 3 frequencies ...

Master Reset.....

• Like 2

locator, if someone got into the calibration and actually ran it, then very likely the unit will not be able to ground balance. You can check this by pulling the trigger switch and bobbing the coil over mineralized ground (autotrac enabled). If it responds a few times and then settles down to no-response, then you're good. You can also look at known coin VDIs but I'm not sure how much they would vary with a bad cal. Calibration is for coil offset, ferrite (ground), and salt. You can actually do it yourself at home, if you know how. 😉

It was nice to see Bob again (video), he passed away a little over a year ago. I miss the old codger.

• Like 3

Thank you all very much for the information and your help. I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get my hands on this one as it seems to be a pretty good deal.

@Geotech - yes, it was a sad day when I heard that Bob passed.

• Like 1

Master Reset will work, even on a classic V3 it is not a problem to do it this way ...:wink:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EL NINO77 said:

Master Reset will work, even on a classic V3 it is not a problem to do it this way ...:wink:

Thank you very much for your speedy effort, EL NINO77.👍

And this is for the whole forum, too. Thank you so much for this 5-Star forum, Steve.

• Like 1