Revisited the bad lands today. This time settings were a little different. Still a lot of nails in this area, but this time I opted to hear only low conductors and it paid off. One 10k GF and a nice 10k class ring.
And of course the double handfuls of beer tabs, beaver tails and pencil erasers.
All in all a pretty good hunt.
Todays settings were:
gain 6
GB 6
delay 18
low conductors

20170219_173525.jpg

• Like 7

Nice rings!

Did you have to deal with any tiny ferrous while hunting low conductors with the TDI?

HH
Mike

My bad lands are comprised of tiny coal waste pieces that attract to a magnet.  This waste has basically shut down every VLF machine I've ever used.  I was very shocked at finding these two rings.

• Like 1

I now have to rethink, not only this site but many others I've hunted over the last 20 years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been so intrigued about this find I had to know what ID numbers would be on my other detector.  The F75 gives a solid 28 which is just below a Jefferson nickel.  Amazing for such a large chunky ring.  Now I must admit, I've found a new jewelry hunting machine.

• Like 1

Nice, Mark!

On 2/19/2017 at 6:29 PM, Mark Gillespie said:

...delay 18... (microseconds)

That seems pretty long to me.  Was it because of the coal waste pieces you mention, or does it help eliminate the signals for nails?  I have the TDI-SPP which is locked at 10 us, so won't help me unless I go out and buy a real SL.  There is a mod that Steve has referenced which can turn the SPP back into an SL, but it seems a bit ambitious for my electronics skills.

Anyway, excellent finds.

• 5 weeks later...

Longer delay to prevent the machine from giving false audio reports on the coal waste.  This ground is the worst in my area.  Most places like this have shut down every VLF machine I've ever used.