Questions On Garrett ATX - VLF Alternatives For Porous Gold

aufarmer

garrett-atx-standard-coil-option.jpg

Thinking about getting a new PI detector.  I have had a Minelab GP3000 and Whites TDI.  I really liked the GP3000 for the depth, but I quickly found out the area I hunt had too much EMI and the gold tends to be more porous and sometimes "sugary like", and the GP 3000 just couldn't see the gold.  So I have pretty much just been using a Gold Bug II.  Would really like a GPZ 7000 but don't think it will be possible.  So I was looking at the Garrett ATX or Minelab SDC 2300.  

Reading reviews on the ATX it seems quite a few people complain about coil falsing when hitting objects with the coil.  Does anyone know if this has ever been fixed by Garrett?  Or have the new coils fixed it?

Would the ATX detect this porous gold? 

It's been a long time since I bought a new detector and I haven't really kept up with any of it.

Thanks.

New coil are with coil covers... Should be better a little bit.

Im looking into buying a atx myself since it have been able to find gold in and out the water in different places; be gold nuggets, jewery or coins. 

Have anyone already tried the newer 11x13 coil for the atx . It just hit the market but maybe someone already test the coil with great results.  

I have second unit. If you are buying new or used, ALWAYS check coil cable. This is factory issue. Broken - cracked isolation of coil cable. They replace it under warranty !

The coil bumping problem was never as bad as advertised. Like Chris Ben said, irritating perhaps, but with careful coil control not much of an issue. Truthfully, the ATX will not benefit from fast hunting anyway - slow and careful is the way to go. I did have a go with a prototype of the new mono coil, and it did more or less eliminate the issue, but I have not acquired a production unit yet to confirm how it came out in the final version.

More to the real question however. The ATX at $2120 is perhaps a step up from a GP3000 on small and porous gold, but not by much. Some would no doubt argue not at all. A new GPX 4500 can now be had for $2699 and with a small coil is every bit as good as an ATX for small gold and a far more versatile prospecting detector. However, if you can swing the extra dough, what I would really recommend is a SDC 2300 at $3750 new or less second hand. The three year warranty is transferable. A GPX or an ATX still might not get you the porous gold performance you seek. The SDC will do it as well as any PI can, and pushes even hot VLF machines for performance in that regard. Exceeds them actually in bad ground.

Don't get me wrong, I am like Garrett ATX Fan #1 having used them since they have been out. It is one of the best salt water machines I have used and that combined with it's compact fold up design and ability to handle salt ground and some hot rocks that my GPZ 7000 struggles with make it a versatile machine worth my having as part of my permanent collection. However, were it not for the waterproof saltwater part I would have a GPX as my second machine instead of the ATX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I honestly can't say having never run a SDC head to head against a Gold Bug 2 in mild ground. All I can say is the benefit if any would be minimal in mild ground. The entire reason a person gets a PI is to deal with bad ground and hot rocks. If you have neither, the benefit of something like an SDC is minimal at best. Old saying of mine is "use a VLF when you can and a PI when you must".

In the mildest of ground I am betting on the Gold Bug 2 for ultra fine, wire-like and porous gold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aufarmer said:

Thinking about getting a new PI detector.  I have had a Minelab GP3000 and Whites TDI.  I really liked the GP3000 for the depth, but I quickly found out the area I hunt had too much EMI and the gold tends to be more porous and sometimes "sugary like", and the GP 3000 just couldn't see the gold.  So I have pretty much just been using a Gold Bug II.  Would really like a GPZ 7000 but don't think it will be possible.  So I was looking at the Garrett ATX or Minelab SDC 2300.  

Reading reviews on the ATX it seems quite a few people complain about coil falsing when hitting objects with the coil.  Does anyone know if this has ever been fixed by Garrett?  Or have the new coils fixed it?

Would the ATX detect this porous gold? 

It's been a long time since I bought a new detector and I haven't really kept up with any of it.

Thanks.

Most of the type gold we find is the porous (crystalline) and wire specimens. We sampled several types of gold that range in size and weight with a ATX and the ATX would not detect the specimens. Your best bet would be if you have a sample or samples of the type of gold you are looking for and test them with the detector you are interested in before making a large investment. Usually at GPAA shows or large competition hunts you will find the latest detectors that dealers have to offer. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Questions On Garrett ATX - VLF Alternatives For Porous Gold