Would You Still Be Detecting For Gold If The Price Was Under $300 Per Ounce?

For I and my wife the answer would be " Yes", whether it is nugget hunting, relic, beach or coin hunting we enjoy the thrill of the hunt and being outdoors. We have been at this hobby or sport whatever you want to call it for over thirty plus years and still get excited when we find a nice nugget, coin or relic. It's not what the item we find is how much it is worth, but the experience, enjoyment and sometimes heartbreak you encounter while detecting. I could care less if gold was $16.00 an oz., when you find a nugget or gold specimen to me that's unique. Percentage of people that are successful in finding gold by any means is not that great, but the challenge and reward are well worth it. It brings a smile to my face every time I find a nugget big or small. The reward is looking back and cherishing and sharing the memories and saying " Yep, I did That!"

• Like 3

I would never quit detecting gold. I can go out and detect nails and have a great relaxing time. I never studied geology in   a classroom so I am continuing to learn gold geology and what each place has to teach about how and why. So I will always enjoy that.. I also like to try new tech. and see some awesome wildthings out thing. I once saw a trophy class nurse paul over in Junction city.  I have never sold any gold and probably never will. I might bury it and leave a list of clues to find it like Fenns treasure. then the new up and comers will have something to look for. but I dont see anything wrong with people that find gold and sell it. I Think that most people get into gold for a bit then realize how hard it is and they dont get rich quick so they quit. so I think anybody here is still into it no matter what the price because of enjoying the hunt for it or the rewards for selling it. 

• Like 1

Gold is around 1250- and I still don't make money (I don't sell the gold I find either).  Regardless of the price, I enjoy the hunt.  It is so challenging for me- but I like that.  It reminds me a lot of Steelhead fishing, sometimes you are catching fish, many times you aren't but it is still great!  I guess if I found a one pound chunk of gold, it would be nice to think it was worth more....but it would still make a nice trophy! just my thoughts...

• Like 1

Yes we would still be going out detecting for gold no matter what the gold price was

Its a great outdoor activity hobby, that helps to keep us fit..

i am a shocker when my curiosity gets the better of me, and just have to know whats over that next hill, or around that corner. :biggrin:

P.s meant to add

have tried many other hobbies.. can not get the gold fever out of my hubby, so this is the Hobby that we have never given up on 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, strick said:

One of the few hobbies where you can go out and make $300 instead of spending $300...just saying

strick

So true

i used to have horse's.. just for pleasure riding,  boy if we still had horse's today.

I don't think we could afford the cost of looking after them anymore

• Like 1

The things is I could get just about get int any place I wanted. When the price of gold shot up all the doors that was open to me then was lock.

I was prospecting at 35 dollars so why not not at 12 hundred! I never done it for the money but just for the love of finding it.

Chuck

• Like 4