Help Needed Identify If This Is A Meteorite

Hmmm very interesting, looks like Chondrules popping out of it, but you say it doesn't stick to a magnet...pictures sometimes are hard to determine if it's a meteorite. Can you cut it with a rock saw to see what's inside??

I am not an expert, however;

It is indeed....one should pick the least attractive portion of the suspect to grind off. A fine/coarse whetstone works very well and will not leave any foreign  metallic residue. An area the size of a nickel is quite large enough.

I would not grind an iron or pallasite meteorite, if I were certain of what it was...other types of meteorites are beyond the scope of the usual finds.

fred

• Like 1

If your specimen is indeed a meteorite that has chondrules yet is not attracted to a rare earth magnet, it may be a Rumurutiite, or R-chondrite; they are essentially free of elemental nickel-iron alloy. Good luck and congrats on a possible great find. 

• Like 1

Those are nice sharp photos that show clear details of the exterior. Lots of terrestrial stones can mimic meteorites on the outside, but the real confirmation is found on the inside; you'll need to file a window to reveal the interior. I like using a dremel tool, as it's much faster than a diamond file. Lets see some chondrules!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lunk said:

Those are nice sharp photos that show clear details of the exterior. Lots of terrestrial stones can mimic meteorites on the outside, but the real confirmation is found on the inside; you'll need to file a window to reveal the interior. I like using a dremel tool, as it's much faster than a diamond file. Lets see some chondrules!

How much should I file off? Say a area about the size of a fingernail. Open to any suggestions.

2 minutes ago, Glenn in CO said:

How much should I file off?

Half an inch square area should be sufficient; just be sure to file deep enough to completely remove the outside surface layer. 

• Like 1