Advice On A Detector, New To Detecting

Hello all I'm new to this forum and I'm interested in buying a metal detector. I was thinking about going with the Garret AT Gold. I know nothing about detecting but did some reading and this one just catches my eye, any thoughts? Thanks for your inputs in advance.

• The title was changed to Advice On A Detector, New To Detecting

What sort of detecting are you wanting to do? Coins, jewelry, relics, nugget detecting, beach, etc.? List all possibilities. And roughly where will you be detecting. Name implies Australia - which region. Or someplace else?

As a generality you can get do-it-all detectors that do everything fairly well, or machines that excel at specific tasks. Start Here

• Like 1

I live in Reno, NV., I thought about going to Rye Patch, and also maybe about hitting other places here in Northern California. Nugget detecting sounds good especially since you can mix it in with some hiking. Some coin hunting and jewelry as well, but I think for these areas up here nugget hunting might be more optimal.  

Well, give the nugget detector guide I linked to a good read, it sums up my thoughts. Others can chime in. A decent do-it-all machine is not a bad way to start out. The main goal is to discover if you even really like metal detecting. It sounds good but the majority of people who give it a go drop out soon. The good finds don't come as fast as some expect, and digging trash turns some people off. Lots of people find it just plain boring.

The market for around $600 do-it-all machines is very mature, and the models by any major brand at similar price points and operating frequencies are roughly equivalent. You can ask around forever and find large numbers of people who prefer each model simply because they are all so close in overall performance.

• Like 1

Hi Dingo,

I have been lurking on this forum and many others for years, although I have a fair amount of "Book" knowledge my actual "Boots on the ground" knowledge is lacking. About 5 years ago I purchased a GP Extreme and headed the 500 kms (I'm Canadian so roughly 350 miles) to gold country from where I live, I got there and found out that some detectors have a fairly steep learning curve!

If I were to go back in time I would have started with a much simpler detector.

From what I have read the ATX is a fairly simple detector to operate. Also the SDC and the GPZ but both of those detectors are more expensive and there are others, follow Steve's links and you can't go wrong. .

Keep it simple to start would be my advise.

Good luck!

Maybe hire a few different ones first?  See if you like it. 

I took a mate detecting. I offered him to use a detector but he just decided to walk with me. 

At the end of 3 hours I suggested about making a trip to near Ballarat (near where he lives) to detect for a weekend. He is a very good mate so bluntly told me that he is never detecting again and that was the most boring thing he's ever done.  

Try before you buy :biggrin::biggrin:

• Like 4

Thanks for all the input Steve I have read your link on the detectors for about a month over and over again and also have read others reviews as well. I am planning with going up to the rivers up in Auburn as well as others so with that said I think I will lean towards the Garrett AT Gold. I'm sure that it will do justice for now eventually when I make it to the big leagues like everyone else I will be able to invest in something else. Thanks for all the help. By the way Steve or anyone, how do I know where I can detect at in Rye Patch?

This does not exactly answer your question but it is a good place to start. http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/majuba_mtns.htm

The only thread on the forum was pretty inconclusive. I have been out there a few times with other people but do not know the place well enough myself to point at any specific locations and say its ok to hunt there. Lots of claims and leases in the area.

Land Matters - Land Matters is dedicated to the idea that information about the land should be easily accessable to all users. Rather than ramble through hundreds of websites to find information about a subject you can now turn to Land Matters for a single information pool.