A Civil War Era Button

Hi all. I got this button a few months ago at a PMAV club outing at Maryborough in central Victoria.  Buttons don`t do a great deal for me but I was pretty impressed when I discovered it was a Civil War era button that came over here from the United states.  On the back it says Treble Stand and under that Extra Rich.   
It was really deep but someone had already dug half way down to it and then walked away.  Once I recovered it I filled in their hole.   The third photo is what it used to look like.
cheers Dave
rzor8fg
yyo39hm
vokxni4

• Like 3

(Thread probably belongs in the relics subpage, but I guess Steve can move it.)

I did some quick web searching.  I think this is British, not US.  But probably the era you surmise (US Civil War) could well be right.  'Treble Stand' means 'triple standard'.  'Extra Rich' is some kind of quality designation.  Originally gold gilded, but apparently no longer.  Here's just one informative webpage:

http://www.thebuttonmonger.com/content/July 2011.pdf

I found a couple 19th Century buttons myself last year.  Even if not valuable (and I suspect they aren't) it's still fun to unearth a piece of history and wonder when it was lost and why it was there in the first place.  If you're searching a known battlefield, the answer is easy.  Otherwise the mystery may never be solved.  And that adds to the aura, IMO.

• Like 1

Nice one Phoenix.

I personally like to find gold but i prefer to  find relics.

Unfortunately here we cant touch them and have to leave them where we find them.

Pretty sad  if you ask me.I would like we could instead donate all pieces to the museum and map all finds  from goldfields for future generations.

They tell history and you never know what we will come across.

We are very limited in finds from distant history in Australia but hey we are very well compensated with gold here.

I found few buttons and some interesting relics and i i wish they can talk.

GoldEN

Hi Dave I remember that button. We thought because it had a dog on it that it could have been from a hunting jacket. There was hunt clubs back it the early days of the goldfields. That is why they introduces fox's so the British Aristocracy could go hunting like they did back in England. But an intriguing button all the same.

wombat :wink:

just found this tonite He's Great! :biggrin: Enjoy! Ig