Metal Detectors With Reliable Target ID Numbers

Steve,1st time that i have seen this old post of yours and makes alot of sense,in the last 12 months or so instead of running sensitivity as high as i use too i have reduced this setting down by massive amount,also either reduced discrimination down to zero or in most cases All Metal mode.My Deus and a original green T2 have all been running at reduced sensitivity on all my roman and saxon sites,but my finds rate has increased pro rata.

For some reason everyone want too crank the sensitivity right up and use the biggest coils that we can buy and expect to find the holy grail of finds,alas it does not work like that,all my detectors had big coils on predominately for clear pasture sites,but the only real advantage gained was ground coverage,but detecting became a nightmare and in the last 2 years i have done a total reverse and not only running all my detectors at reduced power but also reduced the coil sizes below stock coil size and my finds rate and doubled.

A tremendous article and have 'bookmarked' it for future reference......many thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

great article steve, I've read it several times. now to put it into practice. when you say practice coil control, are you suggesting a slow coil sweep?

No, it’s simply having the coil and mind integrated as one. The detector and coil by extension literally become part of my body. I have an inherent sense when I sweep a target correctly and the target id seems correct as opposed to making a swing that seems a little off center or too fast or too slow..... whatever. Sweep speed can be very fast, very slow, or anywhere in between depending on the detector. An experienced detectorist should know without even having to think about it that either slowing the sweep or increasing the sweep will improve the target id. It depends purely on the exact scenario as to what will work best. In most cases I find after getting a target that speeding up my sweep will help “sharpen” the target id number. Other times I may need to slow down.

I think that connection between the mind and coil is one of the things that sets the best detectorists apart from the crowd. It is also almost impossible to define in words. It’s like trying to describe how to be great at swinging a golf club.

The Minelab Equinox is a good example. I see people comment about the target id being inaccurate. I personally consider the machine to have an extremely accurate target id. The difference I believe is that some people think a detector should deliver very tame numbers that are always or nearly always the same. They see the Equinox numbers jump around and blame the machine for being inaccurate. I in turn am hearing somebody say they really don’t understand how an extremely fast, extremely accurate detector actually works, especially when sensitivity is being pushed to the edge. It’s all about coil control and knowing that you have “hit” the target correctly and knowing internally that the target id delivered is a “good one”. The truth is the Equinox is delivering the reality of the nuance under the coil. The only question is whether the operator can develop the skill required to accurately understand the machine and what it is saying. Coil control is critical to that ever happening.

• Like 5

On 4/12/2019 at 10:09 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I think that connection between the mind and coil is one of the things that sets the best detectorists apart from the crowd.

Another Steve H. quote to frame and hang on my wall.  Now please excuse me while I fight and claw my way out from among the masses.  Think I'll head out this afternoon and work on it.  Thanks, Steve!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

agreed phrunt, come to think of it, should be a sticky.

Im new to detecting and have the nox 800, I've learned that the numbers dont mean as much as tone. That being said I dig everything and try to call the target before digging and the only thing I can consistently call are dimes and quarters, other coins I can call but not as accurately. 

I take a silver bracelet with me to test before I get started and I get different readings depending on the location and which mode I'm in. 

The only times I've passed on targets is an obvious tacklebox spill (split shot scattered everyplace) or someone did a mag dump and all I find is brass

• Like 2

tried this out today in my test area. very trashy place, my yard! set my sensitivity to 2(mx sport), still had good depth, I have reject at 50% so I can hear all the junk, found a copper penny in a hole alongside a nail. id'd the penny. also found a rototiller blade about 10 inches down, (one tine, about 8 inches long, shaped like a knife blade if you've never seen one). most importantly, the machine was easier to use and more civilized I guess. not sure how to phrase it. 

I'm not sure, but I don't think you need sensitivity up very high to get good depth. but correct me if I'm wrong. I also go to a local park where the machine is super noisy and jumpy, I'm going to lower my sensitivity there and see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

is gain equal to sensitivity? in other words, should I lower my gain if the machine is noisy or falsing when gold detecting? 

12 hours ago, gambler said:

is gain equal to sensitivity? in other words, should I lower my gain if the machine is noisy or falsing when gold detecting? 

Gain and sensitivity normally are the same control. Reducing sensitivity always increases stability but obviously it is a trade off. You have to find the best balance between raw power and stability - useable power. The old rule of thumb is increase gain/sensitivity until the machine becomes to unstable/noisy, then back off a hair.

• Like 3

thank you steve