Here is a link to a thread about unfilled holes at the beach that I started.  They are dangerous because kids, old and joggers can get hurt badly by stepping in these holes.  I've stepped in other detectorist's holes and felt pain.  Some I will fill and others I challenge the hole digger.

• Like 1

Over here in Victoria Australia we have  The PMAV an orginisation that has fought tirelessly to keep the goldfields open to detectorists/prospectors and miners. Not only do they have to contend wth the issue of unfilled holes they also have to contend with those that believe all the gold should be theirs and no others should be allowed to enjoy the hobby and unfortunately try to sabotage the good work of the PMAV. They are the ones regardless of regulations will still do what they want where they want.

As an example l have a photo from another forum highlighting this issue.

It is a well known fact that there are several that believe that the PMAV has created more competition for the gold through there promotion of prospecting.

They are the ones who would like to see the goldfields closed for their own benifit.

• Like 1

I deleted the screen shot G.B. and I hope you do not take it the wrong way. I prefer other forum stuff be left where it is - on the other forum. I can sympathize about mining/prospecting/detecting organizations and their naysayers. I have noted here that prospectors tend to separate into cliques and joining one group automatically puts one at odds with others. Trying to get prospectors to organize for a common good is like herding cats.

• Like 2

Well all i know is.. we fill our holes in.. leaf litter and all goes back where it came from

Mike does such a good job he can not find his own spots back when he wants to find them back after a couple of months.. even when we go back the next day its hard to tell where he has been.. he remembers by using land marks 

Even in W.A.. leave it as it was, or better than it was!

Same anywhere we go!

this is what we will always do.. clean up after ourselves, and leave no tell tail sign we have been there.  Just the tyre marks on the tracks.

its not hard to do.

i feel with some of these clubs getting so big with members, a lot of members just pass the buck!  Not right!  :mellow: But it happens.. 

As a kid I was a Boy Scout.  We were taught about the outdoors and camping by people who tried to 'leave no sign' when you left your camp.

What does 'leave no sign' mean?  (It is not about spray cans (gang tags) or graffiti 'Kilroy was here' although that is part of it.)  'Leave no sign' means if you disturb the surface of the ground you try to return it as best you can to the way it was when you arrived.

Basically ... you think about filling your hole as you are digging it.  You take off the first layer (the humus or patina) and put it in a separate pile and then you go about your digging.  When you are done with the hole you put the first part back last and arrange the surface to 'look' like the ground around with the same surface level.  You also anticipate what is it going to look like after a rain.

That is the Boy Scout way of rearranging your entire camp including the fire pits if you are not in a dedicated camping spot but certainly with all your holes for deification and the like.

I think miners need another incentive.  Miners should try and hide their patches!  How many times has someone found your patch because they saw dig holes?  If you did a better job of 'leave no sign' then your patch might still be producing for you.  Put the leaves and twigs back after you dig that deep hole mates!

Mitchel

• Like 5

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I think miners need another incentive.  Miners should try and hide their patches!  How many times has someone found your patch because they saw dig holes?  If you did a better job of 'leave no sign' then your patch might still be producing for you.

I learnt this years ago (1980) and all my virgin patches are still left alone some of them have exceeded a Kilo and have more ground to do. In WA I use the lightest chain for the area as I can get away with, and keep 4WD tracks away as well.

• Like 2

Look at what can happen if the holes are not filled.I worked there from 1973 end of 1979

http://www.smh.com.au/world/billiondollar-mess-a-major-disaster-the-people-do-not-deserve-to-have-20160817-gquzli.html

Before that, Panguna mine had accounted for about 45 per cent of exports from PNG and generated more than $1 billion in national tax revenue and dividend payments

More than five million ­tonnes of copper and 19 million ounces of gold were left behind in the Panguna open-cut.

Thanks guy for your response. It seems by the replies, that this is not a local (Australia) problem but a Universal problem with no magic fix except by trying to educate as many people as possible the reasons why holes should be filled in and the benefits. And also doing by example.

wombat :wink:

• Like 2

I don't know what to say really. I think if it takes me a day of filling holes then I'll  make one more trip out to pay the bills. I don't mind filling them it helps me with a bad temper and rage that I might otherwise use on those who don't fill them. 

There is a super great spot that detecting was allowed and it was big enough for maybe three thousand machines. This place is closed and you will be fined and jail is now mandatory. I found out there was a group minging with a dumper and excavator and an other leaving holes. The authority came and closes all 12000 acres. As well there are five ranches that are not friendly to detectorists in the same area. 

• Like 1