Selectable Frequency And Multiple Frequency

Interesting. Where I can order one?

If you mean the book Shelton it is on Amazon, paperback and Kindle 

"Inside the Metal Detector offers hard-to-find information on the technology behind metal detectors. The basics of induction and eddy currents are explained, plus the major categories of BFO, TR, motion VLF, and PI are covered. Included are hands-on experiments and complete metal detector projects in every category. A list of resources includes web sites, books, magazine articles, and patents. 250 pages."

image.jpg

• Like 2

Great info Steve. My records show the Eureka Gold was released December 2002. It was well after the Gold Hawk as when I started at Minelab the Hawk was out, and I started testing the replacement for the XT18000, and we used the Hawk as a bit of a bench mark to test against.

• Like 2

Thanks for the correction Nenad - I edited the posts. Obviously the Eureka Gold did not come out one year after the XT18000. The funny part is I lifted all the Minelab dates from their website at http://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-care/product-notices/discontinued-products where it shows 1998 as year of production.

• 6 months later...

Good article Steve.  I am a complete illiterate when it comes to multi frequency detectors. I did have the Eureka Ace but it was selectable.  More and more I am liking the look of the Equinox.   Dave

Thanks Dave. Obviously I have an interest in the area myself. Looks like the original post will need an update when I have time! Up until now only the V3i/VX3 allowed for both multi frequency and selectable/switchable frequency in one unit. A V3i in the MX Sport box would have been a great follow up but now....

• Like 1

Steve H., this has been an interesting read.  I have George & Carl's book in my personal library and have enjoyed everyone's comments in this forum read.    I've owned several Fisher CZ's, four White's DFX's, a half-dozen Minelab BBS and another half-dozen FBS models, and White's Vision, V3, V3i and VX3 units from White's.  There were things I liked about them, but many things I didn't care for in the way of 'simplicity,' 'function,' packaging/balance and especially in field performance at most of the iron littered sites I hunt.

I have hunted several very challenging wet salt environments side-by-side with some friends who were/are very devoted BBS and FBS users and never was out-performed when we compared signals on located targets.  And on dry sand/dry land hunting I enjoy reading about former models, current models, and even the pending Minelab Equinox ... but I haven't found anything in the way of field use or write-up about what is coming that sways me into wanting to use a simultaneous multi-frequency detector over my stable of excellent single frequency models.

All of my Regular-Use units, with the exception of the  Nokta Impact, provide exceptional performance at 10 kHz, 12 kHz or 14,5 kHz from Tesoro, or my Nokta's at 15 kHz, 19 kHz and the selectable-frequency Impacts that offer 14 kHz and 20 kHz for most sites I work, and the option to put 5 kHz to work as desired where appropriate.

My personal preference is for selectable frequency models, like my two Impacts, over any of the multi-frequency operation detector designs.  There are a lot of choices on the market today to give anyone the options they might prefer, and I'm quite comfortable with the selections I have made.

Monte

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I went ahead an added information about the Minelab Equinox to the original posts.

Equinox 800  - 5 kHz or 10 kHz or 15 kHz or 20 kHz or 40 kHz plus multi frequency options

Here is a quote from myself in the original post:

“The ability to run either separate frequencies or multiple frequencies at once is very compelling. I just think nobody has really done it right yet in a properly configured package.”

The Equinox on paper at least is far closer to what I imagined as I wrote those words than anything else made yet. Lightweight, waterproof, simplified interface, and priced right. The game is now afoot, and I look forward to renewed competition in the multifrequency / selectable frequency arena. The Equinox does, in my opinion, redefine expectations in the under $1000 market segment. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 1:30 PM, MikePfeiffer said:

Carl, thank you for replying. I read your book and it was very educational. I had planed on designing my own detector as I did not see much progress from manufactures. However, after reading your book, I quickly learned it would take me years to get up to speed. Thanks again!

image.jpg

I had one of those!!!!

• Like 1

Hey Paul, if you have an old first edition copy of George and Carl’s “Inside the Metal Detector” then it might be worth some money. Somebody is selling a first edition on Amazon for $299.99 !!!!!!!