Drill & Tap Pump Housings For Cold Weather Drains

Steve, you stated you installed drain plugs on your pumps. I picked up some 1/4 inch drain cox's to install on my pumps. Any words of wisdom before I go drill my pumps? Little nervous about this.

Thanks guys. I have a old pump that is trashed, I'll practice on that first.

Installed drain plugs today. Pretty easy once I got going?IMG_1499.thumb.JPG.817f12c970bcda4d893ff75898d0597e.JPG

• Like 1

The drain plugs are vintage plugs I found on Ebay, I used those because everything I found local was a lot larger and as you pointed out the possibility of breaking them off is great.

I was a little nervous adding the drain plug, 400 dollar pump and all. So I drilled a scrap piece of aluminum and tapped that for a test run. That went well so I moved on to an old P100 pump that I had in the bone pile. Really glad IĀ did the extra step. What I came to relies, with the odd shape and rough casting on the pumps my drill bit ended up walking all over the place. Butchered the P100 pretty good.

My solution for this was to use a bench grinder with table to flatten the spot I drilled.

IMG_1493.thumb.JPG.478b6e272fcecf8acf81f56a51bc6ca0.JPG

Punched the hole with the drill press. I did clamp the pump with two wooden hand clamps to makeĀ  sure things stayed straight and perpendicular.

Ā IMG_1495.thumb.JPG.ac7d338b460d2487e7cd6bca118582c7.JPG

Next I clamped the pump (wood jig and all) in the vice and used a hand tap to make the threads.

IMG_1496.thumb.JPG.d88e91dcad63247f307e04d35b24eabf.JPG

Finally installed the plug. (used thread sealer)

IMG_1497.thumb.JPG.a698f685a23233206a42f80d91d2394f.JPG

Wile I was set up I did four pumps. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

I wished I would posted earlier on this thread. Ā I put a pitcock on a 4" a few years ago. Ā I don't know how much it would really matteredĀ but I didn't want to affect the pressure so drilled and tapped it so that it would not protrude into the housing to much. Ā 

Ā 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2