1st Session With The CTX

I'll take the ring to my local coin store and they will shoot it with a gun and tell me what it is made of.  They are very good about that.

Mitchel

12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I'll take the ring to my local coin store and they will shoot it with a gun and tell me what it is made of.  They are very good about that.

Mitchel

Shooting jewelry with a gun will devalue it really quick. I wonder what caliber is best. Sounds like a fun place to work! :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ah the CTX on the beach,... pretty much a love and hate relationship on my part.

Excal II is my ring finder, it really is my pirate. Nice sweep covers a lot of ground, all metal speaks volumes about the ground you're in. Disc is reliable.

E-trac found 6 rings in one hunt,... but I'd probably could have dug them with a VLF machine on that day. Nice hardpack with all the soft stuff removed. Sold it to get the allmighty CTX.

And then the CTX came and just like the E-trac doesn't have decent all-metal. It does punch deep, dug a ring that blew my socks off. Big coil, small coil, floating coiltek elliptical coil, standard coil. I just couldn't get it to swing wright and outdo my Excal.

Maybe with that new coiltek, but it would need an all metal that is music to my ears. Not retuning the pinpoint all of the time.

And then came the SDC, super simple, just a few knobs, doesn't like anything metal in it's presence. Speaks volumes about the ground you are in, catches fishhooks and other small beach "crap". Has dug me the most earrings and chains. It is not the deepest, but the coil lets you follow the countours of the wet beach stripped by a decent tide.

Whites Dual Field, simple, easy, noise free detecting. I dip the threshold slightly so the radio static doesn't bother me. Head for the swash zone and dig.

So those are my current wet beach machines. Excal 2, SDC, Dual Field. My beaches have tides spanning 500-600 meters. So I need to cover ground, SDC only hits the immensly popular lifeguarded sections.

Mister Minelab if you are reading this. Stick FBS2 into an Excal, add noise cancel, add all metal and decent switch, add sat speed, wireless with WM10. JOB DONE!!!

The new Jack Sparrow will reign!!

• Like 1