I learned one of the secrets of the thing was the

black finish was none other than a metal primer spray,

which provided a slight slowing action of the descending

gold and other particles. There could be primer that

is more coarse than others, but I wouldn't know which

might be best for the project.

**(If the sluice is aluminum, as most are, I would be sure

to use primer spray paint FOR aluminum. Don't know about

sluices, but it does make a difference with boat motors.)

Boat motor primer is usually a yellow color, so maybe the guys used what they had, being plain old black primer.

Regulation of water control amount and speed, angle of the box itself, is key, obviously.

Once you get a few of those few items, and with experimenting,

you may have a relatively inexpensive method of fine gold

recovery. Oh yes, don't forget to have a capture bucket at

the end of your setup, in case you think you may have

lost some of your fines.

Hope this helps...

Gary

I am using a product that is intended to be used as shelve liner. It's a very thin rubber mat called Easy Liner and sold by Walmart. It's the same matting used in the Black Magic machine posted on page 1. I used 3M 77 spray adhesive to secure the mat to the aluminum. The mat has a slight texture to it that gold sticks to.

DUCK Brand: http://www.duckbrand.com/products/shelf-liner/solid-easy-liner/1228

Where To Buy: http://www.duckbrand.com/products/where_to_buy/1737

How would this wonder mat do in a gold pan or maybe 1/4 of the pan surface, or up on the pans slope, might be worth experimenting with it?

Ps, I got the cheap ABS Black Miller Table off Ebay for $ 50 shipped and altho it included a few extras like Teflon tape and a cheap ball valve, it is NOT as easy to get up and running as the YouTube videos implied. Altho,I have to admit I did NOT like the idea of using a 110 volt pump to power the setup, scares me to think of electric shock hazards? So, I found an Atwood 500 gph 12 volt bilge pump I had and am attempting to mate that to the ball valve.Had to go to Ace hardware and get 2 garden hose adapters with 1/2 and 5/8 inch barbs on them plus garden hose screw on fittings on the other ends, 1 female and 1 male. And finding a suitable tub to fit wasn't easy either.I finally acquired a 10 gallon tote from Ace hardware that is gonna have to work with the sides squeezed together a little bit and a small tub inside to catch my tailings. The cross bar that was provided for the table to set on was just that and no brackets to hold the table in place so I drilled and bolted on 2 right angle metal brackets today. I would say this Miller table is ok for lite duty home use but field use is doubtful unless you baby it.The ABS plastic is almost paper thin, not the rugged thick ABS black plastic like is used on Bazooka sluices, like it needs to be. 

I hope to have all the bits and pieces together tomorrow for a test run.I also just found my California Sluice Box company concentrator sluice so will try that too. I can fit a garden hose up to that one and it is rugged enough for field use. It uses those drop riffles in a narrow 3 inch wide x 2 foot long sluice to catch the fines and mounts on a 5 gallon bucket.

Now,if I could just find my digital camera? It disappeared after my last mining trip.Small cameras are nice but they can disappear easily. KInda hard to wrap them in bright red duct tape like my shovels so they stand out better?

-Tom V.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You guys have any thoughts on these Underflow Mini Sluices 

There is a ton of youtube videos.

Here is the web site of the builder, does look pretty easy to build one DIY.

http://grumpyprospector.com/grumpy_prospector_new_003.htm

Ivan

• I think most people don't know how to clean the green carpet in the a52. that green carpet catches fine gold, but you have to wire brush the carpet in a tub of water. if you have never done that with your carpet, try it.

I never did like that flimsy Keene green carpet and flimsy expanded metal? Much prefer the blue/gray ribbed carpet and aluminum or steel raised expanded thats 1/8 inch tall or so. Never tried the brush? I heard the old timers used to burn the burlap in their sluices after a while and pan the ashes. 

-Tom