I learned one of the secrets of the thing was the

black finish was none other than a metal primer spray,

which provided a slight slowing action of the descending

gold and other particles. There could be primer that

is more coarse than others, but I wouldn't know which

might be best for the project.

**(If the sluice is aluminum, as most are, I would be sure

to use primer spray paint FOR aluminum. Don't know about

sluices, but it does make a difference with boat motors.)

Boat motor primer is usually a yellow color, so maybe the guys used what they had, being plain old black primer.

Regulation of water control amount and speed, angle of the box itself, is key, obviously.

Once you get a few of those few items, and with experimenting,

you may have a relatively inexpensive method of fine gold

recovery. Oh yes, don't forget to have a capture bucket at

the end of your setup, in case you think you may have

lost some of your fines.

Hope this helps...

Gary

I've heard of people putting sand in paint and then painting the bottom of a bare sluice box.   Like a non-slip step.

I am using a product that is intended to be used as shelve liner. It's a very thin rubber mat called Easy Liner and sold by Walmart. It's the same matting used in the Black Magic machine posted on page 1. I used 3M 77 spray adhesive to secure the mat to the aluminum. The mat has a slight texture to it that gold sticks to.

DUCK Brand: http://www.duckbrand.com/products/shelf-liner/solid-easy-liner/1228

Where To Buy: http://www.duckbrand.com/products/where_to_buy/1737

How would this wonder mat do in a gold pan or maybe 1/4 of the pan surface, or up on the pans slope, might be worth experimenting with it?

Ps, I got the cheap ABS Black Miller Table off Ebay for $ 50 shipped and altho it included a few extras like Teflon tape and a cheap ball valve, it is NOT as easy to get up and running as the YouTube videos implied. Altho,I have to admit I did NOT like the idea of using a 110 volt pump to power the setup, scares me to think of electric shock hazards? So, I found an Atwood 500 gph 12 volt bilge pump I had and am attempting to mate that to the ball valve.Had to go to Ace hardware and get 2 garden hose adapters with 1/2 and 5/8 inch barbs on them plus garden hose screw on fittings on the other ends, 1 female and 1 male. And finding a suitable tub to fit wasn't easy either.I finally acquired a 10 gallon tote from Ace hardware that is gonna have to work with the sides squeezed together a little bit and a small tub inside to catch my tailings. The cross bar that was provided for the table to set on was just that and no brackets to hold the table in place so I drilled and bolted on 2 right angle metal brackets today. I would say this Miller table is ok for lite duty home use but field use is doubtful unless you baby it.The ABS plastic is almost paper thin, not the rugged thick ABS black plastic like is used on Bazooka sluices, like it needs to be. 

I hope to have all the bits and pieces together tomorrow for a test run.I also just found my California Sluice Box company concentrator sluice so will try that too. I can fit a garden hose up to that one and it is rugged enough for field use. It uses those drop riffles in a narrow 3 inch wide x 2 foot long sluice to catch the fines and mounts on a 5 gallon bucket.

Now,if I could just find my digital camera? It disappeared after my last mining trip.Small cameras are nice but they can disappear easily. KInda hard to wrap them in bright red duct tape like my shovels so they stand out better?

-Tom V.

How do I classify my fines for the Blue Bowl  without having to spend a lot of money on various mesh screens? What mesh is window screen? How about them colander things we use in the kitchen with the cone shape fine wire mesh? I watched several YouTube Blue Bowl videos but they don't really explain how the Blue Bowl works or the theory behind it? I never saw the gold results afterwards either?

I actually do have one of these bowl things but never felt very confident on using it, so it sits on a shelf. Guess I need to get brave and try it out before winter gets here. I printed out some directions for using it tonite, will need to look it over and see what parts I have  or need to buy yet.

Thanks for all the responses.

-T

TVANWHO - Window screen is generally measured at about an 18x14 wire mesh - found that info and a lot more on wire screens and wire cloth here: http://www.bwire.com

As far as spending a lot of money on wire screens and attaching them to your bowl - I do not believe that as a DIY project, this would be hard or expensive to execute.  Simply go to the local hardware store - ask what they have laying around - and generally they will have something fine enough for you to use.

Wire mesh - unless you are buying a huge quantity, a rare metal, or something that is so fine that it becomes hard to find and acquire will and should not be very pricey.  Simply cut the mesh to the shape you need with aviation shears and fasten it to your bowl or funneling device!

You guys have any thoughts on these Underflow Mini Sluices 

There is a ton of youtube videos.

Here is the web site of the builder, does look pretty easy to build one DIY.

http://grumpyprospector.com/grumpy_prospector_new_003.htm

Ivan

Just my personal opinion but when it comes to sluices just give me a good old aluminum box with carpet and remove able steel riffles. Good old Keene A-52 is still the standard as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

• I think most people don't know how to clean the green carpet in the a52. that green carpet catches fine gold, but you have to wire brush the carpet in a tub of water. if you have never done that with your carpet, try it.