In Search Of Forrest Fenn's Treasure

From Wikipedia - "The Fenn Treasure is a treasure reportedly worth more than one million dollars hidden by art dealer and author Forrest Fenn in the Rocky Mountains. According to Fenn, many people have claimed to have found the treasure, but no one has provided any evidence to him supporting their claim. Fenn has confirmed four of the nine clues have been solved and that searchers have been within 200 feet of the treasure. As of 20 August 2016 Fenn has stated that to his knowledge it is still not found."

Read the full story

• Like 2

Very well written article by a 20-something -- gives you confidence that good journalism is going to continue for at least another generation.

I don't know much about Fenn and am not that interested in going further.  But he has created quite a microcosm.  People becoming overconfident and suffering from confirmation bias (several mentions of that in the article).  People playing results (ex-wife and daughter of man who died looking for the treasure blame Fenn and say the treasure is a hoax; wonder if their views would have been the same had he found it).  And not the least -- people refusing accountability.  He's not holding a gun to anyone's head making them go search.

Never been the treasure hunter type myself. I mean real treasure hunting as opposed to just being out metal detecting for coins and relics. I might find a treasure but it would be more an accident. With true treasure hunting there is a specific goal in mind. The search for signs and clues. Fascinating to read about but when people have offered to get me involved in that sort of thing I find I just have no interest.

I agree, I thought the article was very well written, and great photos. That more than anything was why I decided to share it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yeah, in my much younger days, I wanted to be a treasure hunter like karl Von Muller...I was pretty good at reading but found the detective work was not my skill...or interest.

So, I never did find any treasures...plenty of coins and junk was my lot.

fred

I have a friend who is always trying to get me interested in treasure hunts but it was never my thing. I love metal detecting and prospecting, and the whole using research to look for gold nuggets thing appeals to me. So many treasure tales however are just that, tales, and sorting what’s real from what’s not.... well, just never got into that. Figuring out geology and where Mother Nature hid her treasures appeals to me more. That said I do understand the fascination people have for such things though.

I am a bit surprised in this day and age of the “reality show” that a new Treasure Island show has not been created where contestants do the Fenn thing on a much smaller scale. Each season could be a new treasure.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Wow.  FInally.  Going to put a cottage industry of Fenn's treasure bloggers and associated sites out of business now.  Lol.

Don't really care who found it, presuming they want to remain anonymous, but it would be interesting to finally find out where it was hidden

I just want to see what was really in the stupid box. All that I've ever seen is "contains gold nuggets, rare coins, jewelry, and gemstones." Like, he did not take a picture of the stuff before he put it in the box? So hopefully we will finally see what was really in there.

8 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

it would be interesting to finally find out where it was hidden.

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So hopefully we will finally see what was really in (the 'stupid' box).

I wouldn't count on either of thise wishes to be fulfilled.  If I found a treasure that large I doubt I would go public, altough I'd likely tease you here with a couple of cryptic hints and out-of-focus photos.  😁  I guess Forrest could reveal more (e.g. location) and apparently he's already distanced himself from their identities -- smart on his part.

Even if the location and contents are revealed there are going to continue to be the naysayers (e.g. "it never existed") and conspiracy theorists ("he told his friends...").  That group will be even larger and louder if a lot more details aren't revealed.  IMO it was a great thing he did.

And for those who like looking for modern treasures intiontionally hidden for the public to find, there are still 75% of these out there in the USA.  They aren't as valuable, but that makes it easier to go public, and if successful you'll even make it onto Josh Gates's Expedition Unknown.

I suspect most of us here would rather look for the authentic treasures -- the ones lost or hidden by humans without the intention of them being found by others, or the ones put there my Mother Nature.

• Like 2