In Search Of Forrest Fenn's Treasure

22 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I wouldn't count on either of thise wishes to be fulfilled.  If I found a treasure that large I doubt I would go public, altough I'd likely tease you here with a couple of cryptic hints and out-of-focus photos.  😁  I guess Forrest could reveal more (e.g. location) and apparently he's already distanced himself from their identities -- smart on his part.

Even if the location and contents are revealed there are going to continue to be the naysayers (e.g. "it never existed") and conspiracy theorists ("he told his friends...").  That group will be even larger and louder if a lot more details aren't revealed.  IMO it was a great thing he did.

And for those who like looking for modern treasures intiontionally hidden for the public to find, there are still 75% of these out there in the USA.  They aren't as valuable, but that makes it easier to go public, and if successful you'll even make it onto Josh Gates's Expedition Unknown.

I suspect most of us here would rather look for the authentic treasures -- the ones lost or hidden by humans without the intention of them being found by others, or the ones put there my Mother Nature.

Yes, I'm hoping Forrest would reveal where he hid it now that it has been found.  No need to get the finder involved.  I guess the only hindrance to Forrest doing so would be that if the finder publicly revealed all or part of his solution (I am taking a stand against using the populist zombie verb-as-noun "solve" though I have been know to falter on this forum with the word "ask") so someone could potentially link back to him.

I really don't care about whether or not that quells the conspiracy theorists.  They are not my concern and are usually divorced from reality and can continue to wail and waste their time.  What I want to know is how well the actual location matches up to the clues, that's all.

I agree with you Chuck, the best treasures are those you find that were never meant to be found.

2 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

This may have been the biggest scam it ever was .

Chuck 

Yeah, right.  Fenn was already independently wealthy so what would have been his motivation? Tell that to the people who were scammed by an actual criminal, Bernie Madoff.  So some people got some fresh air, why is that a scam?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes, I'm hoping Forrest would reveal where he hid it now that it has been found.  ...  What I want to know is how well the actual location matches up to the clues, that's all.

Any guesses?  I always liked the Yellowstone Park predictions myself since some of his history (e.g. boyhood visits) pointed to that.  And I'll be disappointed if it was New Mexico.  Come on, he can do better than walking out his back door!

Regarding the value, AFAIK he vehemently refused to put a dollar value on it, claiming that it varied with time and wasn't something he was concerned with when he created it.  I do recall, though, that he said (on Expedition Unknown interview) that the cache included something like 20 lbs (my recollection so not exactly that) of gold and some number of emeralds.  I was surprised doing the arithmetic that the amount of gold (bullion value -- could be higher if they are coins, artifacts, jewelry, etc.) was well under half a million dollars.

Some lost their life because of it. 

Tell the fresh air part to the family that lost a love one .

Chuck 

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Some lost their life because of it. 

Tell the fresh air part to the family that lost a love one .

Chuck 

That is a tragedy but still does not make it a hoax, scam, or crime.  Forrest didn't kill those people.  They chased after something of their own free will.  People do not need Forrest Fenn's treasure to be motivated to make dangerous bad decisions or poor judgments.  Look at all the selfie idiots losing their lives falling off cliffs, buildings, and waterfalls.  I am not saying that those who died directly or indirectly in pursuit of the FF's treasure made poor decisions, but they were putting themselves in risky situations but doing so of their own free will.  If you are assuming the treasure didn't exist, then from that vantage point, you are painting Fenn as some depraved practical jokester who somehow got pleasure out of seeing people lose their lives or get injured in the quest of something that did not exist.  I am not buying that at all!  If you assume the treasure did exist, then why is it Fenn's fault that people lost their lives looking for it vs. mountain biking and falling off a cliff or taking a selfie and careening down a rock face at Yosemite, or simply getting bit by a snake detecting in the desert.  People are free to make choices and who knows what motivates them be it greed, sense of adventure, or an adrenaline rush.  Outdoors is not a 100% safe proposition.  People are going to lose their lives or get injured, especially if they are not doing things in a safe manner with or without Forrest Fenn's treasure. Yes it is tragic, just as any accidental loss of life.  But it is not a "scam" nor a "crime", it is just life and death and the human condition.

• Like 4

Of all things here it is on the news today that the treasure has been found .

It just said it was found by a guy back east. I’d like to post the story but not sure how.

Chuck 

Chuck - Sourdough Scott already posted a link a few hours back to Forrest Fenn's site where the announcement was made (that's why this thread popped to the top of the feed):

And here is a link to the story in the Sante Fe New Mexican:

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/forrest-fenn-confirms-his-treasure-has-been-found/article_37006cfe-a8d7-11ea-8653-873ca96e31ef.html

Chuck,

If you want to post a link to the story you saw, just copy the link address on the top of your browser and then paste it into your post...

HTH