Oooooo! How Good Is That Coil? Your Favorite

2 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Hi there AuWanderer, When you say California's vast tailings piles. Are you referring to the hand stacked sluicing rock tailings or the monstrous bucket dredge tailings piles? If it is the bucket dredge tailings piles then I have a post to do on those, but not just yet. Cheers.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

jw-I'm sure it's cobbles from bucketdredge .

All "Great Responses" Everyone!

Thanx from the .45 carrying crowd :biggrin:

Cheers, jd

For all-round awesomeness, shape, weight, sensitivity, EMI immunity etc etc. I'm going to say the 12" Evo. This coil rarely misses whenever I strap it on, and I often wonder why I don't use it more regularly. 

For performance, and target digs that just shouldn't happen, the Z14 is a wonder. It'll pick prickly/reefy gold that only the best fine tuned high freq VLF will see, but the Zed will see it a lot deeper and in much more mineralised soils. Then it'll get lumpy slugs at depths where you'd need an 18" mono on a GPX to match. If the SDC is called the hoover, then the GPZ14 should be called the Trawler! 

• Like 4

JW & JD,

In my area I refer to early hand stacked walls and tossed tailings that were done in a hurry all done by hand. The tailings were from the 1840's-1870's. Artifacts found dated the area for me..and research also verified the time period. We do have old bucket line dredge piles but they were usually done in the bigger streams and rivers. Those tailings are mostly large cobble piles..and very , very high piles mostly in the area of Snelling , california. You can google earth it and you can see huge monstrous piles that go for miles. Just got back from a 3 hour hunt with my new 8" Detech round dd coil....scored 2 small nuggs and a nice specimen gold/quartz piece. Used disc level 6 on the 4500. The coil goes deep and  runs very quite, in disc...the iron nulls / blanks out very well. Best part with the streams running ..all Detech coils are waterproof so I am liking that a lot..

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Au4Gold2, I know that area very well. I grew up around Turlock, CA and had relatives in the Snelling area. I remember the big bucket dredge that was sitting there forever. A Co. bought the dredge and hauled it up somewhere in Canada. I remember the huge piles of river rock. I figured that someone bought all that property and made it off limits to anyone. I know that the Christopherson family snatched up a lot of the land in that area. The Christopherson's owned a turkey packaging meat factory in Turlock and I think also in Livingston or Atwater area's. I always wanted to hunt the Snelling area. I live in Oregon now and not sure if I'll ever get back there.

You can drive from Snelling to Placerville up old HI way 49, which goes through all the old 49'er mining camp towns in the lower Sierra's.

• 2 weeks later...

Cors Shrew coil with the Teknetics T2SE. The most productive combo I've ever owned.

• Like 1