Garrett AT Gold, Thanks Steve

ddmk6

Keith --

EXCELLENT video!  VERY interesting.

A question...I have a Fisher Gold Bug Pro right now; the one thing I like about the AT Pro and Gold are that they are waterproof -- thus no worries when hunting in the rain.  But -- that's not enough of a reason for me to switch machines at this point.  In your opinion (Keith, or Steve, or whomever else has used both), is there any advantage to me switching from the GB Pro to the AT Pro or AT Gold in terms of performance in iron?  I will be doing only rare/occasional gold prospecting with the machine; occasionally, I'll use it for coin hunting in a park-type setting, though usually that's where I use my Minelab Explorer.  Most often, though, where I use the Gold Bug Pro now (and where I'd use the AT Pro or Gold) would be in a relic site, trying to unmasktargets in the dense iron, along the lines of what you are showing in the video here.  Is there any advantage to the AT Pro, or the Gold, vs. the Gold Bug Pro?  I think these units all do alot of the same things; that being said, one of the best "iron hunters" I know personally, hunts with the AT Pro and he does REALLY well pulling non-ferrous targets out of thick iron.  He continually impresses me when we hunt together; some of it is his many more years of experience as compared to me, but I wonder if the machine gives him an edge over my GB Pro, as well, in terms of unmasking...

Thoughts?

Steve

Good write up snd video Keith. I wish the iron audio was adjustable on the AT. I cant run mine in iron on, Gives me a headache. Steve,not thatthis means much,but I have both and pretty much stick with the GBPro most the time. My son has taken over the AT,he loves it. I do seem to notice the GB seems to find more lead, AT more coin type targets when comparing finds at end of the day. If you hunt sites with an abundance of old rusty tin pieces and bottle caps,its easier to i.d. them with the AT.

• Like 1

Ray brings up some valid points.

The AT Gold seems like a coin machine turned into a prospector via the addition of the all metal threshold based mode being added to the AT Pro

The AT gold in disc mode mirrors the AT Pro..

The gold bug Pro or G2 seems like a Gold machine turned into a dual purpose machine...

In other words both do dual duty as prospectors and coin jewelry through I.D. ability and full disc modes but they have different DNA.

The G2 acts more like a 18khz machine in the targets it prefers..and the way it behaves..The AT Gold Seems to act more like a lower grew machine in regards to it likes coins..These observations mind you are from the disc mode...

I actually noticed the 15 khz At Pro can act like a lower frequency machine...but this is not a bad thing..even though they both are hot on coins the AT Gold has a prospecting mode with added Tools for perfromance..like I.d. In all metal through audio and it's very conservative in its iron I.d so as not to call gold iron....ground window very unique and at times in bad dirt can be godsend if used with knowledge..adjustable threshold again paramount for small gold..

so in the end the both in all metal mode will be good prospectors..user skill for prospecting will be the decider I feel more than the battle between which is better than the other..LOL..

but if both are ran on disc mode G2 Vs AT Gold I personally feel and have noticed the G2 likes smaller thinner targets to a slight degree and on the other end of the spectrum the AT has a edge on coin type targets..

I actually think the G2 is complimented by the Omega when working a site..

I feel the AT Gold is a good standalone unit when working a site..

I lean to specialty detectors myself..Like best unmasked best depth best mineral handling ability..best I.d. and no one machine Does all those things..

but I can say for the money and the performance that is achieved and the ability to do it all quite well with an audio that is conveying the AT series especially the Gold is very adaptive and once understood and learned properly it can be very much a great prospector and a great unmasker ..

Yes there better unmasker and there's better prospectors but like anything else in detecting fringe targets require a skilled mindset be they isolated small gold or intermingled non ferrous in ferrous and the edge advantage machines come into play for what I like to call the final pull on sites

At first the best machine for the required job may not be overly apparent because you are not yet sure what your trying to do and things of advantage may not be noticable..Right tool for the Job can come to mind.Yet the gaps seem to be closing..multi purpose can really get close to dedicated machines now-a- days.so the edges are not as easily seen unless you are really pushing the boundaries on your hunts..

But yes the Garretts are WORTH THE MONEY..

Keith

• Like 1

Ray brings up some valid points.

The AT Gold seems like a coin machine turned into a prospector via the addition of the all metal threshold based mode being added to the AT Pro. The AT gold in disc mode mirrors the AT Pro..

The gold bug Pro or G2 seems like a Gold machine turned into a dual purpose machine...

In other words both do dual duty as prospectors and coin jewelry through I.D. ability and full disc modes but they have different DNA.

I would say that hits the nail on the head. If you just lean one way or the other based on what the primary use of the machine will be it is hard to go wrong. I prefer my Gold Bug Pro to the AT Gold for prospecting simply because it focuses more on that task and I do not like changing coils on the AT Gold.

This will tell you how highly I think of the AT Pro and AT Gold however. The only reason I sold my AT Gold is because I have a CTX 3030 and for me they served the same purpose. Waterproof coin and jewelry detector. If I had to trade the CTX for something else it would be the AT Gold. The fact is I believe the AT Gold or AT Pro compare very favorably with the CTX 3030 and that says a lot. They are a couple super bang for the buck detectors.

I was using my Gold Bug Pro in wet brush the other day though and water dripping off the brush got a bit of moisture in the box and the display fogged up. The attractions of waterproof are obvious.

• Like 2

Very cool video Keith, thank for sharing.  Your detailed explanations in your posts really helped make some things click today when I was doing a little searching.

I had to drop my truck off for some service today and I had a couple hours to kill waiting to pick it up.  There just happens to be some old abandoned houses in the lot next door :-)  I played around with the negative ground balance and the sensitivity settings in all modes.  Some pretty cool results.

I found another pocket full of pennies, but also tested with my little piece of gold.  I may have been a little hasty in my opinion of the AT gold in my previous post.  The ground was pretty mild with a GB of 76.  I adjusted the ground balance with about 3 clicks negative (so around 73) and the sensitivity one notch down from full.  The machine would detect the small nugget in all 3 modes (granted not as strong in disc modes), but what was cool was the neither iron audio or the graph once showed iron.  The graph was still inconsistent ranging from 45 to 90, but never once dropped into the iron range.  This was true for all 3 modes.  When running an even ground balance, the piece of gold would activate the iron audio and of course drop into the iron range on the graph as well.

I think the coolest thing today was finding a nickel.  Just an ordinary 1971 nickel that was about 3" deep.  What was so interesting about it was that another couple inches below the nickel was a rusted tin can, directly underneath it.  I was definitely impressed.  Granted when the signal hit, I had no idea what the target was but I could tell there was something unique or separate signals.  When looking at the graph a solid part of the signal was in the range I will dig, so after it I went.  I popped the nickel out then rechecked the hole and heard the other signal still there.  I just had to grin when I uncovered the can and the whole picture came to light.

I'm going to second what Ray said about the iron tone.  What a wonderful thing it would be to be able to turn it down a notch.  Or maybe just make it trigger a red light or something.  It definitely overloads my ears. 

Thank you for everyones comments and opinions.  It really helps reading all of this and picking up little bits here and there.  This machine is really going to be fun when I get to the point of comfort and consistent results.

Kenny

Hey Kenny..

Sounds like things are starting to click for you!!!

one of the things I mentioned earlier was that the AT series is a lot of bang for the buck especially working iron...

There is some other unmasking options that are the complete package..DEUS...Gold max Power..Deeptech Vista Gold....those 3 are in their own leauge..Top rung..yet specialized for iron site unlocking on the most advanced level to date..And they offer the iron tone volume that you would like to see...but those machines also offer high resolution iron disc...by this I mean say on your AT a nail takes 1 to 2 points to become from high to low tone...imagine taking that and expanding that spread to say 10 points to remove it completely to the iron tone...thats where extra benefits cab be seen for unmasking..Instead of a nail dropping to low tone from high tone in one number you instead take the nail out piece by piece for simplistic terms..

why is the important?

The less disc you can bring to bear on say the nail the better your chance of locating smaller and or lower conductors thst are collated with the nail...

Out of all the machines available for intelligent site work the Gold Max Power is the Apex design for that purpose..followed by the Deep Tech Vista Gold..

One thing to note is both that both those machines are built in Europe...they are combating iron unmasking head on ..The American manufacturers are catching up yet not quite on deck ....YET....but that will be changing SOON...Your iron tone Volume Control is closer than you think ..I just hope they decide to expand the iron range to high resolution..

I'm not saying your AT will have iron volume but American Machines will soon..

That's what the company's now know..that there's more lying in iron that can be dug in the supposedly hunted out spots...

One 3 inch long nail 2 inches deep will cancel out a silver dollar under it at 7 or 8 inch deep..

Keith

• Like 1

Let's see -----

There's a recent American detector with iron volume control - but aimed at the entry level European market. The same company makes a couple of machines with wide iron discrimination ranges (although not as wide as the trio Keith named).

The same company's top two detectors are about due an overhaul - as is their Gold detector.

Hmmmm - maybe the maximum utility of VLF detectors hasn't been reached after all. Usable discrimination and target separation in gold nugget bearing ground where buried ferrous trash makes finding small gold a matter of digging everything - that would be something new.

• 4 weeks later...

An update on the AT Gold...

I just had the pleasure of spending the last few weeks in WY.  As you can imagine it's not the best time of year for detecting out there.  It doesn't help that we were putting in 15 hour days but the -20 and 50 mph winds really iced the cake...pun intended.  I took the machine with me just in case...it never left the room.  I did stop at a rest area just outside of Winnemucca, NV on the way back, beautiful 50 degree sunny day.  No great discoveries but it was a nice break, oldest clad was a 1968 quarter.

I have spent the last couple days tromping around enjoying this spring weather we are having.  Added some treasures to my collection.  Found my first ox shoes (I have 3 now) and a cool axe head.

IMAG1166.jpg

Spent the day today detecting an old school yard where I attended grade school.  The unique thing about this place is the fact that it was the site of a hotel in the late 1800's through mid 1900's, until it burned to the ground.  Quite the assortment of treasures :-)

IMAG1167.jpg

This one has my interest.  It's quite bright and has a little weight to it.  Probably just lead but it seems different.

IMAG1169.jpg

This one appears to be copper, nice design on it.

IMAG1168.jpg

This I have no idea what it was before the fire, has some weight to it, may be copper?  Read a solid 78 on the VDI

IMAG1170.jpg

Plus an assortment of clad along with 6 wheat pennies dating back to 1929.  Two 44 wheats that had me reaching for a magnet :-) and a 1954 nickel.  I also found a 5 cent token from the Riverside Hotel in Colusa, CA.  My first token, pretty jazzed with that one.  I also had a pouch over flowing with trash.  I'm still digging a bunch of trash until I get this machine figured out.

IMAG1172.jpg

I still haven't cracked the seal on some old silver, but it's coming :-)  The target separation still amazes me with this machine.  Most of this stuff was dug in the same hole as nails and trash.  This is going to be a great unit to take along to old cabin sites.  I recently acquired some maps from the 1890's.  Time to get out and score some more treasures.  Thanks for looking.

Kenny