Nokta Impact Manual Available For Download

Some things of note on the target id table for the Nokta Impact. First, there are two different overall id scales depending on the mode selected. Modes that are more coin oriented have ferrous running from 0-15 and non-ferrous from 16-99. Prospecting and relic oriented modes have 0-40 ferrous and 41-99 non-ferrous. Offhand I cant think of any other detector that has offered two different base id scales. Certainly none I have ever owned.

Additionally, each frequency can run in its native target id scale, expanding or compressing certain ranges of targets. Finally, the target id numbers can be "normalized" to return only 14 kHz scale numbers regardless of frequency, to accommodate ease of learning for those new to all this.  

I read an exciting message on page 6, item # 14.  (if you wish, you can adjust the ID depth level of the device).................Hopefully this means that I can set a depth of say, 5 inches, and get no signals above that depth.  I had an old Compass about 30 years ago that did that, and have not seen it since.  A great feature if real.  Anybody know?

A lot of us have been excitedly watching a few teasers on soon-to-be-released detectors here.  Regarding the Nokta Impact, has there been a conclusion reached on whether or not it has a true, pure, (near-)analog all-metal mode?  If we're still awaiting hands-on testing, I'm fine with that.

All new machines made these days are digitally based microprocessor controlled units. Other than that, yes, the Impact has a true threshold based all metal mode. Four actually each able to run at one of three different frequencies, so you have 12 all metal options.

The meter always displays a target id regardless of mode. The two STA modes are STAtic (non-motion) all metal modes, a rare thing these days. Activating the disc converts them to mixed mode operation.

The two GEN modes with disc set to 0 are standard motion all metal modes. Again, activating the disc converts them to mixed mode operation.

Each mode may be run at 5, 14, or 20 kHz.

If you were concerned these are "fake" all metal modes, where they are just disc modes set to accept all targets, but still running the signal through the disc filter, the answer is no. In mixed mode the all metal and disc are running in parallel. If you follow the links above that discuss mixed modes, you will see in the description below the phrase that gives away mixed mode operation "mode will generate the same tone for ferrous and non-ferrous targets at fringe depths but it will discriminate the shallow ferrous targets by emitting a low iron tone." Fringe depth is where you are beyond the depth the discriminate mode can reach so all you get is the all metal indication. These are the very deep but unknown targets.

nokta-impact-static-mode-part-1.jpgnokta-impact-static-mode-part-2.jpg

• Like 1

Nokta Impact ID Depth Control

This is an interesting feature. Like many detectors these days the Impact target id meter is somewhat independent of the underlying mode. This is not unusual and many people report with various detector models that audio id tones may vary from target numbers. The meter always displays a target id, even in all metal modes and is like a separate detector. In general people seem to rely more on audio that displayed target id as being more accurate.

The Impact allows you to modify the confidence level of the visually displayed id number. It does so by modifying the sensititivity of the meter circuit directly. Higher meter sensitivity leads to jumpier numbers but an edge on meter depth. Lower meter sensitivity leads to more stable numbers at a slight sacrifice on meter depth. From the manual page 11:

Target ID Depth - This setting is not present in the menu.

Adjusts the depth level that the device displays an ID for a detected target. It consists of 3 levels: Hi (High), In (Intermediate), Lo (Low). Factory default is set to ''In''.

The lower the ID depth level is, the higher the ID accuracy and vice versa. At the high level, the IDs may become jumpy.

To change the ID depth level, pull the trigger and press the up button simultaneously. Each time you press the up button, the ID depth level will change. 

The more I read about the Impact, the more impressed I am with its number of unique modes and settings. It doesn't seem to be just another rehashed VLF.  I'm a little torn because I like to keep things simple if I can, but some of the features and the flexibility of the detector are real appealing.  I always feel a little uncomfortable owning a lot of detectors. I don't like to having them and all their coils sitting around to use just for specific locations. The Impact might replace a few of my detectors plus add more technology to the lineup.  I'm close to pulling the trigger.  

Bryan

No, the Impact is not just another detector. The closest machine to it that I have used is the White's V3i, the main operational difference being that the V3i does allow for all three frequencies to be run at once, and the Impact does not. The Impact you may run at either 5, 14, or 20 kHz. The V3i you may run at 2.5, 7.5, or 22.5 kHz separately or all three at once.

The V3i has the most options and most complex menu structure ever devised in a consumer metal detector. This allows for an incredible level of customization, but a huge portion of that is aimed at display and tone options, in particular those that control the admittedly gorgeous color display. The Impact seems like a V3i that has been stripped down to only those functions that actually have a direct effect on detecting performance. The Impact also has much more of an analog feel to it compared to the very digital sounds the V3i produces. The big difference from my perspective is the straight forward all metal modes and ground balancing system, which feels a lot more like any other gold nugget detector than the Prospecting mode on the V3i, which again has a very digital feel to it.

I have stated elsewhere in the past that I would like a V3i in more of a standard package stripped down to main functionality. The Impact largely delivers on that, albeit without that very important ability to run in a true multifrequency mode.

• Like 1