How To Not Get Lost

I haven`t worn a watch for about 25 yrs and a year or so ago Steve showed how to access the time with the 7000, I turned the GPS on and left it on.  After a couple of weeks I thought since the thing is turned on I might as well learn to use it.   I now know the basics of the 7000 gps and every time I am in a unfamiliar area I mark the vehicle as a "way point".  I have only had to use it once to get back to the vehicle, I was in a heavily wooded area with heavy overcast and no shadows, and that day without the gps I would have set off in 180º the wrong direction.   Not only can I now get back to my vehicle no probs,   I know the time.  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, tvanwho said:

We depend on our electronic toys too much these days in my opinion.

A quote I've remembered since the first time I heard it, over 40 years ago:

I can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

Anyone else remember that, and who said it?  (No fair cutting and pasting on Google.)  Hint:  If you were ever lost in the wilderness and had a "phone a friend" available, this would be the guy to choose.

11 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

A quote I've remembered since the first time I heard it, over 40 years ago:

I can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

Anyone else remember that, and who said it?  (No fair cutting and pasting on Google.)  Hint:  If you were ever lost in the wilderness and had a "phone a friend" available, this would be the guy to choose.

I think that was Daniel Boon who said he had never been lost just mighty confused a few times. Same here. When in strange country I always carry a small back pack with space blanket, small amount of food, water, and most importantly a way to start a fire. Water proof matches are great to have as well as a magnesium flint but I've always carried a emergency road flare and have been able to start a fire in severe winter conditions.  That flare had bailed me out several times when I used to hunt all over the western US. GPS was not available back in those days but now a days I always carry my GPS.  We like the Garmin Rhino series combo GPS walkie talkie. When you click to talk it automatically gives GPS coordinates to your buddy so they know your last location.   

strick

• Like 2

When i started detecting i never lost a sight of my car.I never detected alone and most of the time with a few detecting friends.

Was not really comfortable to wander around. Nevertheless to say i was very limited to finding gold.

Then i bought Bushnell backtracker. Well i was off few hundred meters sometimes even kilometer from the car.

Works perfect for me for area i detect.99% of time we use radios as well and i never detect alone.

( for Dave to put on his list of my things in backpack i also have gps ).

Never used it but it is there just in case.

I am completely care free detecting around and as i detect in Victorian goldfields its hard to get lost.

My detecting mate always tells me it is impossible to get lost in Victorian goldfields and i replied not to underestimate me.

It must be horrifying feeling that moment you think i am lost.

i am quite prepared just in case carrying many spare things  in my backpack name few:

night headlamps x2, lighter, spare batteries, etc.My back backpack also hold 3 liters of water.

( for WA that probably not enough for 2 hours on a hot day).

I m sure if i get in real danger my army training survivor skills will kick in.

But thats another story.

We all well know getting lost is just beginning of many potential dangers.

Finding way back is one thing,  survive day  or few is in unfamiliar territory is another.

I know we all see it a nice hobby, walking,  get out, maybe find a gold.

Maybe new comers  n this  hobby  should read carefully some post and get prepared properly.

Even our ministers get lost sometimes:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/water-minister-tim-holding-missing-on-freezing-mountain-20090830-f488

This is a story with happy ending.

Many in goldfields of WA are not.

Take care and stay safe.

GoldEN

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoldEn said:

My detecting mate always tells me it is impossible to get lost in Victorian goldfields and i replied not to underestimate me.

Hey goldEn.  Come on buddy. I never said you can`t get lost in the Victorian goldfields. I said you can`t get lost at Longbush.   It`s only 12 square ks and everywhere you go you can see a boundry :smile:

cheers Dave

2dskf3a.gif

• Like 2

Not if you walk in a circle  :biggrin:It happens...........As you say there is plenty of handrails if you know what bearing to take. I remember going looking for a mate lost in Maryborough .There was only moonlight. Found him heading down the track in the wrong direction, a few km further than where he started.  :rolleyes: 

If I'm planning on wondering around on foot with with my head down looking at my coil all the time for a long length of time out in the boonies I always take a GPS, a good compass and a topo map, the same things I'd take on long hiking trips.

I still take the GPS even when wondering around in my known familiar areas mostly to mark spots but there have been times it got me back to my truck without me having to stop and climb a ridge top to see where I was.

HH

Mike

When I was in Australia I did pretty well navigating on my own. Each day I would make a long looping walk of several kilometers with my return to camp aimed at lunch time. In one area there was a series of low rolling hills. I of course am pretty intent on my detecting but I do make an effort to keep my bearings. Still, I went around the base of this hill, then around the base of that hill, and so on. As lunch approached the sun was straight up in the sky. I was ready to head back and had looped around thinking I was heading straight back to camp.

Then I checked my GPS. It said I was pointed directly away from camp. Every sense I had argued this was not true.

I got my pilots license and when you do basic instrument training they hammer it into you how your senses can be fooled - always trust your instruments. So I did and went where the GPS said camp would be, and of course it was right.

One could argue that had I not had the GPS I would have paid more attention. No doubt that is true. All I know is I am sure glad I had that GPS.

An Alaska Bush Pilot saying "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots".

• Like 6

My lovely dog the Amazing Miss Elvis, was more accurate and reliable than a GPS. A GPS will be accurate to within a metre or two.

I could be miles away from the quad and just say "on your bike Elvis"  and she would land on the seat!

Inserting batteries was fraught with danger though:biggrin:

• Like 7