Garrett Detectors, Advertising Poor On ATX

Moses

Garrett is really disappointing us, I bought an atx when they were released in 2013 Nov, their stock coil had a lot of issues, they never cared. Just imagine 2013!!!! They replied n 2017, with their 2 new expensive coils, (price of an AT gold detector), well currently I was hoping that they will do test and tell us the differences amongst these 3 coils, but they don't bother!!!!  Up to now in their Web site there is nothing on performance of their new coils. it seems they are concentrating on vlf detectors and for us, we just took a risk buy buying their PI detector - oh poor zimbabwean I thought Americans were far better than the Australians, now I am stating to doubt, maybe I should have gone minelab, should I buy another  coil  for atx??? (or it will b another piece of lemon  AGAIN) or just sell my atx and get  a minelab????? 

FB_IMG_1490451238594.jpg

I have the same opinion. Heavy shaft from fiber glass, rear ON/OFF switch in collision place... and cracking coil cable. Other words - NIGHTMARE. I really like it... but for this price should cost half of it.

Steve have tested the newer mono coil. It suppose to be shockproof and more well balanced.

But out of the two newer coils the 11x13 DD would be the best coil for the atx. Since its naturally more resistance to high mineralization and the iron check mode only works with dd coils.  We are waiting on steve to actually do some more testing with the two coils to tell the real difference. 

I started with a Garrett and went to the minelab. I bought a GP3000 to learn and then to the GPZ7000. I too wanted results and wasn't getting any from the Garrett machines. 

I do however love the ATgold VLF machine for areas with rubish. I think it's a good machine. Yes VLF and small. If I had to choose a PI machine it would be Australian made and say Minelab on it. 

Just my personal opinion.

John

• Like 1

Who did you purchase your detector from?

In Africa there are many fake detectors made in China which do not work and it is a very big problem. When first in Africa I saw a Minelab GPX detector that looked exactly like the real thing. It was fake and did not work. The African man who bought it paid thousands for it and was assured it was genuine. The seller lied to him as it was a fake and not genuine. It would not detect even very large pieces of metal like a cell phone. It is a sad thing, but thousands of African people are being robbed of their money by other Africans selling fake detectors from China which do not work. It is not the fault of the makers like Garrett, Minelab or Fisher that thieves are selling fake Chinese metal detectors that do not work - the fakes are made to look exactly like the real thing so African miners will be fooled by them. I saw many of these fake detectors when I was in Africa - they were everywhere. Some of the fakes work, but work only very poorly - not even close to as good as the genuine detector. Nearly every detector I saw in Africa which was not working was one of the fakes. The fakes cannot be fixed - as the false electronics inside them are all wrong. The Chinese who make these fakes are also thieves and liars.

• Like 3

Hey Moses,

Sorry to hear about the issues.  I have sold a lot of Garrett ATX's, never hear much about the coils from at least the customers I dealt with here in the US.  Many have upgraded at some point to a Minelab GPX series or GPZ 7000.  I can't comment on why Garrett re-done the coils on the ATX, maybe there was some issues.  I know some did complain about the open design always handing up on brush and such on the ground while swinging side-to-side. 

I have yet to see a Counterfeit Garrett ATX, but I'm not saying they are not out there.  I have seen about a dozen Counterfeit Minelab GPX series (4500 & 5000) in person.  Most of them where purchased in Africa and a couple off of Ebay to the American market.  

Whatever you decide, search for a local, Authorized metal detector dealer.  I would also see if one would provide any type of instructions if you purchase from them in the future. 

Good luck on whatever you decide.  

Rob Allison - Rob's Detector Sales

That is not true!

Broken coil cable. They change for new one coil for free but only one time... and you get the same...

After few months broken cable isolation, slave. If you work in water... this is sad story. (Fiber glass reaction between low quality cable sleeve).

Problem with shaft and shaft cam locks - blocked by sand and dirt... Wrong design of rear on-off switch. If you drop your unit - you have nice hole in housing. 

First models was without coil covers... so if this is no problem machine... I don't think so, also!!!

Horrible weight... not housing - shaft! The should change material for lighter...

Hi Moses,

I understand your frustration. However, spamming the forum with complaints on every Garrett ATX coil thread is not the answer. Take your frustration out on Garrett, not the forum. I deleted the other posts as off topic. Starting a new topic as you have done here is a more appropriate way to handle this.

I doubt you have a counterfeit. It just appears you are not happy with the ATX. I have made it quite clear myself since day one that I wish that Garrett had packaged the machine differently. I felt and still feel that an excellent circuit board is being hobbled with a control box and coils wholly inappropriate to the task of gold nugget prospecting. On the other hand, it is my favorite underwater detector, the task it would actually seemed to be designed for given the original epoxy filled coils.

Unfortunately instead of releasing my long hoped for lighter weight ATX Garrett has put time and money into developing these two new coils for the ATX. While a small step in the right direction, these coils do not address the underlying issue of the ATX being more heavy and expensive than it need be, with a few coil options that are also more expensive than they need to be, all due to the basic design of the detector. These coils do nothing really to change that dynamic.

It is a shame as I do think the ATX is a very capable prospecting detector, but it will never be what it could have been if the physical design was done from the ground up with prospectors in mind rather than using an off the shelf landmine detector housing.

The original coil redesign was to address an issue with the coil tilt lock being insufficient to the task on the stock coil. The height on the mechanism was increased to provide a tighter lock, and that is it as far as I know.

The bottom line Moses is that if you already do not like the ATX I do not see how these coils really change much for you. They are just another two coil options, and if you think they will magically transform the performance of the ATX you will be disappointed. Are the new coils an improvement? Yes. Do they change the underlying nature of the ATX? No.

As far as advertising goes Garrett is not alone in treating coils as an afterthought. If you make coils as your main business, as Coiltek, Nugget Finder, DeTech, NEL, and others do, than promoting them is a big priority. The detector manufacturers do not seem to look at coils the same way, and except in rare cases treat them as an afterthought. Garrett has indeed been late with these coils however and there is as of yet very little real information available on them.

Anyway, if you do have a complaint or have a question on the new coils I suggest you contact Garrett directly.

Preliminary Report On New Garrett 11" X 13" Mono For ATX

New Garrett ATX Coil & Package Options For 2017

• Like 2

Thank you for all those replies,and sorry Steve may u delete the post, 

Thank you