Ganes Creek Spring Hunt Produces 50 Ounces

Steve Burris just published a story about the up to now secret Ganes Creek, Alaska outing in June of this year. Thirteen lucky guys were invited back after a massive flood rearranged the valley, opening up some prime detecting opportunities. Just over 50 ounces of gold was recovered in the week, including 15.37 and 11.51 ounce nuggets. You can see the two large nuggets on the cover of the October ICMJ magazine below, along with a nice 2.87 oz nugget found by Steve Burris, the author.

Sadly, the flood destroyed the old machine shop, an in place museum fondly remembered by Ganes Creek visitors.

The story is at http://www.icmj.com/article-notloggedin.php?id=3143 for current ICMJ subscribers. Maybe Steve or Keith will chime in here with more information since they are forum members.

post-1-0-67099200-1412093493_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve

Looking forward to the next issue to read and see all that gold found. To find a nugget that big and if it was me I'd have to go put clean clothing on after.

To find anything that large gives you bragging rights to last a life time.

Thanks for the post.

Chuck Anders

Tom really hit a nice one...I really wish I had gone to Ganes creek...while I am wishing

I wish I had made it back to Moore Creek before Steve gave it up. My Moore creek trip was almost 10 years ago...Dang!

Due to my poor choices of equipment I only found two pieces of gold...this was a solid .52 oz from there.

Steve, thanks again for the memories

fred

post-77-0-68274900-1412430434_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to hunt both Ganes and Moore creek, I had no idea what to expect at Ganes and had never hunting tailings piles before so I did not do very well there, only about an ounce, but Moore Creek I fell in love with, my best week there was over a pound, it was a great place to hunt if you like to run and gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the boys are keeping tight lipped about the trip. I was surprised to see the story as Doug extracted a promise from everyone that the visit be kept secret. Or so I was told. I am sure his phone rang off the hook and email box clogged up when the issue hit the stands! Who knows, maybe Doug will relent and let the general public back on a limited basis again. The demand sure still exists. I would go even if the dozers were not running.

Nice nugget Fred, one of the more solid pieces to come out of Moore Creek. There was lots of solid gold mined there, but it mostly got caught and what got lost was quartzy gold. So the gold detected gave the impression the gold at Moore Creek was mostly quartzy stuff, which was not the case.

Glenn, I am trying to remember what you had at Ganes Creek. Wasn't it a Fisher Gold Strike? I tried my best to warn everyone to be up to snuff on VLF detecting for Ganes but until you see it personally it is hard to get your head around how trashy tailing piles can foil the best PI operators. Moore Creek was much more favorable to PI detecting. Even Ganes became more so in later years when the surface trash got bulldozed off. There is still a lot of gold at Ganes to be found by a patient PI operator. Relatively untouched in that regard, really.

Yeah I used the fisher gold strike there, I hit a nugget immediately on the first area I hit but then it really slowed down as I tried to use the minelab, I did get one little piece with the pi but all the rest were with the vlf. I had no idea that tailing piles could be that trashy, it put me entirely out of my element, but I could deal with it now that I know what to expect.