Sign in to follow this  
phoenix

Do Many People Go After Copper Nuggets?

Here is a copper stained nodule I found metal detecting in the Wrangell Mountains of Alaska back in 2000. There was no sign of native copper on the exterior, but it gave a strong signal and had some weight. I later sawed it open and it was nearly solid copper inside. You can see the thin line in the photo on left where the cut is. Click for larger version.

copper-nodule-alaska-herschbach-metal-detecting.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice Steve looks similar to what I've seen in the Bisbee AZ area.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      “Scientists say they have discovered a "stunning" trove of thousands of fossils on a river bank in China. 
      The fossils are estimated to be about 518 million years old, and are particularly unusual because the soft body tissue of many creatures, including their skin, eyes, and internal organs, have been "exquisitely" well preserved. 
      Palaeontologists have called the findings "mind-blowing" - especially because more than half the fossils are previously undiscovered species.
      The fossils, known as the Qingjiang biota, were collected near Danshui river in Hubei province.
      More than 20,000 specimens were collected, and a total of 4,351 have been analysed so far, including worms, jellyfish, sea anemones and algae.
      They will become a "very important source in the study of the early origins of creatures", one of the fieldwork leaders, Prof Xingliang Zhang from China's Northwest University, told the BBC.
      Details of the findings were published in the journal Science on Friday.”
      For details and photos see the full article at BBC
    • By 1515Art
      There a some very knowledgeable experts here on all kind of rocks so thought I’d ask if anyone here was familiar with this type of quartz crystal and what the host rock and inclusions might be? In the close up’s the gold color is a bit washed out and pale, but under a loop it’s at least interesting looking and crystalline in structure with a pleasant goldfish color. My wife bought them 10-15 years back although I’m not sure who she got them from she said the quartz came from Brazil, I don’t know anything else on their origin or value. They are cut and polished in a way to magnify the little bit of host rock matrix and little inclusions inside the quartz crystal.

• By Steve Herschbach
      “A rare pink diamond has fetched SFr50.3 million ($50m; £38.5m) at auction, a record price per carat. Pink Legacy, weighing in at just under 19 carats, was bought by US brand Harry Winston at auction in Geneva. The price of around $2.6m per carat marked a world record for a pink diamond, according to the Europe head of auction house Christie's. It had been valued at between $30-$50 million before sale, and was bought after only five minutes of bidding. The diamond's new owners have rechristened it the Winston Pink Legacy.”
      See the full article for more details and great photos
    • By Creekboy
      Sometimes you go out looking for gold and come home with other treasures! I just happened to stumble on a bunch of this stuff when I was bent over trying to catch my breath near the top of a local peak. 

• By Gerry in Idaho
      How rare is this? One of my customers has been finding native Michigan copper nuggets with his Minelab Equinox 800 and said I could share this amazing discovery. Kind of makes my nuggets look like dinks. What do you think something like this is worth?
    • By Mac
      All of these are among finds I have kept from the past. They have been in a storage unit. I am fascinated with geology but have trouble ID'g rocks and don't like to smash em. This is a lot of pics ... maybe too many?! Thanks in advance for all who take a moment to share their expertise. Much regards! 

^ is this part of a thunderegg?

^ the shell of the rock above (part of a thunderegg?)

^ could this be a thunderegg or just jasper?

^ a pyrite next to my thumb, is the middle rock a chalcopyrite?

^ shell of the rock pictured below

^ assume this is a banded agate?

^ could it be a geode? 

^ not a great pic -- this coloration is actually light to deep purple/ violet

^ heavy, as if a cannonball, damn near perfectly round

^ also heavy nearly round rocks

^ sunstone? found in a creek north of the Arctic Circle

^ can't even guess ... looks like a vein within a vein, what could that material be?

^ nature couldn't create such an indent, could it? 

^ same stone as above ... is this a relic of sorts? 

^ same stone as above

^ could this have been a spear head? 

^ might this be a corondum? 

^ same rock as above; what are those inclusions -- jasper? can't be rubies.. 

^ same as above

^ what happens when your 3 year old daughter finds your rocks!