Where To Look For Copper Nuggets In Alaska?

On 4/4/2017 at 7:15 PM, Bob(AK) said:

IMG_17491.jpg

Copper ore from the Wrangell's.

Covellite (blue) chalcocite(gray) and calcite. Very high % copper

That's a fine specimen Bob... reminds me of the one below that you should recognize... although I think it may have some native copper as well. I say "may" because I've never bothered to scrape the green copper oxide encrustation to check it.

Do you mind my asking where your sample above target IDs?

Jim.

58e919c3f2099_1.8LBMIXEDCOPPERSAMPLE.JPG.da01c5434afca85d0f9fc4a8e52e36e8.JPG

Jim, I do remember that piece, pretty one. Sorry, GMT doesn't tell me pull tab range or quarter, etc. Perhaps you or someone else can help me answer your question,  Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How to make a copper nugget.  First get a piece of copper in the host rock (like my earlier post) and smash it

with a hammer to remove most of the matrix. Doesn't matter if you hit the copper since it is soft like gold. Next tumble

it with more pieces or other rocks until it looks the way you want. Here are a couple I did a few years ago, Bob

copper.jpg

• Like 2

Bob - AWSOM FINDS. Love the posts!

I have in-laws heading up in July, thinking of heading to Kennecott mine with them. Haven't been there in years.

You and Steve both mention the Wrangles as places you found Copper. Would that area be good?

That old iron bridge on the way to McCarthy. Yeah the one over the deep gorge. Bungee Jumping off that is over rated - Just Saying.