fredmason

Something About Straw Hats

I like to wear broad brims hats while detecting.  The hat keeps the sun off my ears and gives me shade. A few months ago I bought a nice, inexpensive Stetson Straw hat..

very nice for my use.  However, I kept noticing weird responses from my GPZ when I would isolate targets. Well the other day in Gold basin the wind blew my hat off. As I held it in my hand I passed near the coil and got a huge signal. What the Heck??? I thought my 7000 had lost its mind...so I waved the hat over the coil again...woo woobong!!! Crap my hat has wire in it...no wonder the detector would go crazy when I got close. 

I just did a bit of research. It seems the wire is there to give the hat strength;needless to say that hat has been retired from nugget hunting service.

fred

• Like 7

Fred

When I seen the word Stetson I said to my self Fred is wanting to look cool not being cool. Way back when I bale hay and then it was a hand feed baler. What I had on my head was straw hat but one you would have seen Ma & Pa Kettle had on their heads. You could dip that hat in water and put it back on your head with the joy of being O so cool for awhile.

You know things or getting bad when you have to take your detector with you to buy a hat.

The Best out there nugget hunting Fred.

Chuck

• Like 3

Plus wearing duel speakers one on each shoulder, the broad brim seems to hold the sound and aid in clarity.

When I went to the states a few years back I bought a white Stetson and a straw cowboy hat with a big Texan star on it.

My friends horse ate the straw one and I don't wear the Stetson cause I look like a dick.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I wear Filson broad brim hats myself, more for the cold and rain but they do make an excellent hat for sun. I don't believe they put any metal in them. Worth a look.

https://www.filson.com/men/hats-caps.html

Summer Packer Hat - Desert Tan - S

I use a Filson Packard hat that is insulated with fold down wool ear flaps. Best inclement weather prospecting hat ever.

Insulated Packer Hat - Tan - SM

015-i-2_size0.jpg

For metal detecting with headphones I use a insulated ball cap style Filson hat.

Can you tell who is follicle challenged. LOL.

• Like 1

I buy two cheap ($5) straw hats when I go on a long prospecting trip and I am using speakers. They are very good at keeping the sun off and fly nets do fit over them.  I ceremoniously burn one on the camp fire when its buggered and on the last day of the trip I burn the other, usually along with my main detecting trousers which are also usually had it by then.

• Like 4

I have to figure out how to customize my hat to work with my headphones. I am a religious straw hat wearer, as I'm virtually albino ?. But I haven't found a way to work around the headphones... especially trying to get it all to stay put on my head for any amount of time. 

Yes, I switch to a ball cap for detecting. I'm thinking I can cut a couple holes and rig my phones into a straw wide brim. 

Edited by Paulito
Add ball cap

There are times I want to use headphones but my big over ear ones are too much. Like when wearing a wide brim hat! I also find most ear bud type headphones simply fall out of my ears when detecting. Especially my right ear, which has a small ear canal.

So I got a set of Bose SoundSport in-ear headphones a couple years ago and could not be more happy. They have a design that locks them into my ear and they never fall out, plus the sound quality is so good I also use them for music listening. They make versions for Apple and Android devices with built in volume controls, but mine are the basic no volume control "audio only" model that cost half as much. These unfortunately have apparently been discontinued. I like mine so much that in the course of researching this post I just ordered a backup set on eBay while then can still be had.

bose-in-ear-headphone.JPG

• Like 2

Paulito, 

You could always use one of these. 

detecting-hat-with-earphone-slots.PNG

But I use these so I can wear whatever hat I choose. Similar to what Steve has suggested and they do come with the other fittings - not just the over ear hook. They are made by Phillips. I like these ones because they are not ear buds, rather they sit just at the edge of the ear canal and allow in some ambient sound - good safety measure.  They were designed for runners so they can still hear traffic while listening to music. 

ear-phones-with-over-ear-loops.PNG

• Like 1

Sweet! I never really searched for, and definitely never seen hat like that, I'm going to look into it! I may also check out some small supported ear speaker as you and Steve have shared.

• Like 1

Northeast, those over-the-ear phones are similar to my Sony mdr-j10

fred

• Like 2