I use the redhead snake boots in a few areas I hunt. I know they work and I have not had any problems with them. I do like them and they fit well. I too have dry feet upon return, which is worth millions when hiking like we do!

• Like 1

I'm not quite understanding the concern about metal in boots. I do understand that there is the chance of the detector picking up the boot metal, but for me it is only a very seldom chance.

Am I doing something wrong when swinging? My coil is never close enough to my boots to pick up any metal in them. I have experimented with seeing how close to my boot the coil has to be to register a signal, but I don't normally swing my coil that close when detecting.

Perhaps this is more of a problem when using a P.I., which I do not have.?

• Like 1

A very timely topic. My left boot just had a high speed blow out but luckily I was able to maintain control. The nearest store to here with any decent inventory is at least an hour and a half away.

JA. any eyelet, hook or zipper tab will cause problems with a P.I. or a 7000. I even have to clean my toenails.

• Like 2

I see 5 negative comments and 22 positive comments. I have these automatic vent openers for my greenhouse and when I was reviewing them on line there was a lot of neg comments....but I bought  them any way because there was nothing else like them on the market and now three years later they are still working flawlesslely.  Fact is there are some people out there that are negative about most everything.  I hated the Reebok's so much  that I was overly excited about these new boots!  The Tongue is gusseted. All I can say is I walked in water crossing creeks and muddy areas through out the day and my feet were still dry at the end of the day.  Boots are kinda like tires they will perform differently for different people just as tires do for cars. Some people have clubs for feet that no boot or shoe will make them comfortable. Personally I don't like buying shoe wear on line because I want to try them on first....I'll let you fellas know how they hold up in about a year. Thanks for all the comments!

strick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I'm not quite understanding the concern about metal in boots. I do understand that there is the chance of the detector picking up the boot metal, but for me it is only a very seldom chance.

Am I doing something wrong when swinging? My coil is never close enough to my boots to pick up any metal in them. I have experimented with seeing how close to my boot the coil has to be to register a signal, but I don't normally swing my coil that close when detecting.

Perhaps this is more of a problem when using a P.I., which I do not have.?

It is basically a PI (or GPZ) problem Jim, and specifically a large coil PI problem.

I have the same 5.11 boots that Fred and many others favored before they were discontinued. Best boots I have ever owned. I think I will contact 5.11 and just ask them what they recommend as the closest direct replacement.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

If you like them I suggest you buy a couple more pairs...5:11 discontinued my favorite boots...fortunately, I discovered two extras I bought and forgot about. These should last me for several more years...

Were they the 5.11 ATAC 8" CST Sage's? I just discovered they discontinued those and my heart sank...took me forever to find a good replacement after Reebok ruined the Converse boots... Now it's back to Bates again for a cst, side zip, metal free, non-black boot.

5.11 recommends a boot with metal eyelets as the direct replacement. I asked them to pass on a word to the management team and bring those boots back (they said they had similar requests), everyone should call. :biggrin:

Yeah for sure, if anyone finds a good detecting boot, buy 3 pairs because they companies sure don't seem fond of keeping them around.

• Like 1

Not sure of the exact model. They made a waterproof model and the desert model; both with no metal...

The desert boots had little brass vents but I took them out and filled the holes with shoegoo.

I don't have a clue why companies feel driven to change good products...I guess designers must have change.

anyway I have some for now

fred

I have been wearing the same reebok boots in the southwest metal detecting since the original post.  I like them so much I bought another pair in brown for my duty boots.  Unfortunately the brown ones do have metal eyelets.

In Alaska I wear lacross muck boots for almost everything from metal detecting to hunting.  In the cold water they are great but hot when out of it. 

image.jpeg