I have a Targhee update.

Those boots that I bought were better for a while.  Then I started having a problem with the 'fit' and my toes were getting cramped so REI took them back.  I went and got the Targhee III and was fitted by one of the guys there and he had me get a half size smaller so my foot did not move.  They felt good and I could walk down their rock climbing area easily.

When I used them the first time they seemed good but then I put on the 19" coil and a problem developed.  All the other Targhees were metal free but this model has added a top eye for the last loop and it is made of metal.  I took them back.

Another problem I discovered with this type of boot is that it catches desert brush and rocks.  This past weekend I went back to my old high-top boot and rediscovered how good it is to keep pieces of brush away from my socks.  NO low top boots for me for prospecting so now I'm back to look for a boot.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:52 PM, strick said:

I'been looking for some new boots lately. The Reebok tactical boots just arnt doing it for me. Their hard to get on and off even though they have a side zipper...their heavy and most of all they are not water proof. The last straw was a couple weekends ago while I was trampling around the foot hills my feet got wet instantly as I had to cross several creeks. So I went to Bass Pro last week Pin pointer in hand and found one pair of boots (only one) on display that had no metal in them. Turns out that I could not be happier. They are light weight (3lbs total for the pair) Water proof (Gortex)  and most of all comfortable.  Broke them in last weekend and my feet were bone dry at the end of the day despite having stepped in water up to my ankles. The boot strings are a little on the thin side but that would be the only thing that could be improved. Just thought I'd pass it along.  http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-RCT-GORETEX-Hunting-Boots-for-Men/product/12021405012918/

20170322_141816.thumb.jpg.6feb665b83a840d4bcedada072c6760a.jpg

strick 

How did this boot treat you so far?

I just pick up a couple pair of a Keen  boots (Detorit style) , no metal,real leather and heavy thread stitching used and still are fairly light weight also l like the thicker toe shields on them good for kicking rocks and pushing dirt out of holes.

IMG_0087.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a really comfortable pair of Merrel boots , however the two part soles seperated and rendered them useless and they where an expensive item , I think about 300 Australian . So I have gone back to senthetic toe cap work boots .Less comfortable more durable as I'm always scraping leaf litter of the ground with my right one.

Hi beatup,  I bought a pair of Keens (very similar to yours) about 14 months ago and although the top half is good, the soles are quite soft and scraping dirt shreds them.  They are almost dead now and I only wear them about once every week or two. 

Olivers in Australia apparently do a very good, non metallic boot. 

I have 2 pair of Danner boots. Made in Oregon, they're not cheap, and one pair I wore daily in construction for over 8 years. (I used to go through leather boots every year, at least) Never a problem with the Danner's except I wore out the soles, so I bought another pair to wear while I waited on Danner to refurbish my original pair. 

Dropping $200 on a pair of work boots wasn't easy the first time. It was no problem the second time. They're worth every penny, in my experience.

A few things that are mandatory in boots, imo, are one, perhaps two piece leather uppers, a vibrum stiched sole, quality hardware, goretex.

I've tried alot of backpacking and hiking boots over the years and almost any other construction is garbage unless your primary criteria is they should be lightweight.

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Following with interest - my very old 5.11 boots are getting more wore out every day. I just saw a spot yesterday where more shoe goo is needed. I am going to have to get new boots this winter.

Steve,

What version of 5.11 did you have?

Zappos have lots of them listed but without knowing a model and having previously had that shoe I probably wouldn't order through them on this order.

http://www.zappos.com/men-boots/CK_XARCz1wE6AroLwAEC4gIEAQIYBw.zso

Mitchel