Gold Basin Questions

G'day all,

I'll be visiting the Gold Basin area for the first time soon...have a few questions for those members that know the area.

1.) Are there any hotels/motels close to the area?

2.) Restaurants....fuel?

3.) Camping allowed?

Open to any feedback regarding metal detecting in the area. Would be great to detect with someone for a day if anyone is interested. I belong to a number of clubs and have a private claim near Wickenburg....so open to sharing as well.

Cheers,

Will

Will,

Gold Basin has camping on open lands as well as club claims.  The GPAA, GSSN and MPA are the main club claims in the area.  There is also private land in some of the checker-board areas you will see on the maps.  Once you get past Gladiola there doesn't seem to be anyone who cares if you camp on those plots with the exception of Dave who is a full time resident out there.

If you don't camp with tent or trailer then you can go in to Meadview and go to the RV Park that has hot showers or stay at the Canyon's End Motel (~$75) that has Wifi and local TV only.  There are a couple of other places to stay but you would need to look them up.

The Canyon's End has a restaurant that closes at 7:30 and I think there is something at South Cove about 25 miles on Lake Meade. 

There is a Gas n Grub in Meadview where it only cost $2.59 when I was there last week.  The gas price was about $1.00 more on US 93 from Vegas to Dolan Springs than in Meadview.  Dolan Springs also has gas.

There is a Dollar General store across from Canyon's End Motel.  It has all your snack food and small department store needs covered.

I may be back out there on Wednesday for a couple of days.

Mitchel

• Like 5

People get bad advice/directions from google all the time...and end up in deep doodoo.

I am pretty sure someone at the wspa outing told me they could not find one either-this was last weekend.

I drove that way once to check and get gas...to top off my tank...no gas. That could be a real problem for those that tend to run on or near empty.

Just my care-taking, enabling nature trying to save someone's buttock!

fred

• Like 3

Fred,

Yes there is a gas station in Dolan Springs, always like a dollar more per gallon though...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fredmason said:

Mitchel;

are you sure about gas in Dolan springs...last time I drove through there I could not find any, that was 2-3 years ago...

fred

Fred,

I have bought gas in Dolan Springs (when they didn't have any in Meadview for 2 years or so) and Meadview.  Meadview is much cheaper now that they have it again.

There are 3-4 gas stations on 93 between the Arizona Border and the turnoff to Dolan Springs.  I don't like any of those either.  I always get gas in Bolder City at the Rebel/Arco.

Coming from Kingman I always get gas at the Flying J because I get .03 off per gallon but you can get it at the same price on other stations on Stocton Hill Road.  It is the cheapest gas I can buy with the exception of Tucson that I know of in Arizona, California and Nevada.

• Like 2

Just a note:

Dolan Springs gas is not a 'gas station' but they are building one now at the corner of 93 and Pierce Ferry Road.  There are two gas pumps on the dirt in the 25 mph area.  If you get to the Family Dollar Store and Double D Market on the way to Gold Basin you have gone too far.  Turn back a couple of blocks.  The pumps will take a credit card all the time.

I talked to someone who has moved his RV to Dolan Springs because they were charging him too much in Meadview.  That is near the gas.

• Like 1

I am spending the night in Kingman.  Gas is as low as $2.26 for regular.  I like that!

I also like that we found 2 nuggets (1.7/.25) and 2 meteorites (15/10).

• Like 3