Lobo ST Coils and Silver Coin Hunting?

Hi tom, 

Your lobo looks a bit different. I have a Lobo Super traq. I have show you wich resistor /trimmer you have to adjust on my PCB and an other PCB. The correct place is in a red circle. 

It is not U4 (stand for an IC) but it is R33 (resistor)

Sorry for the Video. I have changed the settings. Try now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fwcMfCTkYk

post-376-0-62886900-1413218855_thumb.jpg

post-376-0-04667600-1413218880_thumb.jpg

Keith sent me an email and confirmed it is the R33 Trimmer pot, not the U4 pot, the one in back of the circuit board,at the corner, by the coil connector. He says to adjust it a tiny bit at a time, test for coil depth, and continue..also disc will be affected so need to find out where nails are rejected afterwards.

M, how did you get that big vernier dial and toggle switch mounted ?  What do they do  exactly? Did you remove the built in speaker? I'd also love to have a 2 stage coarse and fine adjustment GB control like is used on the Fisher Goldbug 2. Fisher refuses to part with any electronics for experimenters tho. Wonder where they get that GB control knob?

I was able to view the YouTube video this time, thanks.

Here is the correct trimmer pot, R33,  to adjust on LST for depth per Keith S and our friend from Germany.

This Nikon L830 camera does a quick autofocus and shoots crisp shots even in mediocre light. Best camera yet for me..

post-353-0-85954100-1413267941_thumb.jpg

Hi tvanwho!

The big pot is connect instead of R33. I have sacrificed the inbuild speaker, because i need the space for the pot and use always headphones. The dial is a special potknob for multiturn pots. My is a ten times multiturnpot. the dial is not necessary, only for setting it to factory setting. (It is around 10 on mine lobo). There is no switch and the other pot isn´t connected. For me it was important to change GB on a field. But you get very good results if you only change the settings on the inside-trimmer and later leave it how you set it.

If you change the inside trimmer to a pot you can destroy the PCB and so the whole lobo. 

Your board looks very different. Try R33 but mark it how it was set.Don´t know that it gives such different versions of the Lobo ST

I may pay a visit to my old Fisher detector dealer as he seems to still be in business,albeit only  1 day a week. I will ask him if he can get us the Fisher Goldbug 2, 2 stage GB control unit with fine and coarse ground balance ? Dunno if it will work with the Lobo but Scott Warner ought to know...

I got brave and started on it. I was able to pull the Lobo circuit board out of the hard plastic case but with the battery packs still connected. I turned the unit on, cannot put into red zone due to interference issues at home. Then I cranked the R33 trimmer Clockwise and depth got less, turned it Counter Clockwise and depth seems to be increasing. Need to get a plastic ruler or mark a piece of cardboard to check airtest depth.

Don´t swing the battery-pack cable to much. It can easy break and than you have to solder it in new. If you tune R33 for max distance in air, you would not have a good depth in soil. Better is dig a hole in the ground outside, where you go searching. Place a coin in it and make it so deep. that you can barely get a signal of the buried coin. Than adjust R33 to get a better signal, make a little hill on your buried target and adjust r33 and so on. If you are out of balance you can get a signal from the ground with every swung or loose much depht. 

You can also pump your coil in Disc-Mode, how you gb an other detector and adjust R33 so that you dont get a signal from ground when you lower your coil  and also get no signal if you raise your coil.

All this is to make in Disc-modus only and with disc minimal and sensitivity around 9-10 (outside).

I cranked the R33 to Max CCW position but due to interference, I cannot crank up Sens pst about 8-9. Fermi Natl Accelerator Lab is just a few miles north of me and a natural gas powerplant and hi tension power lines just a mile east of my place. Altho,I am usually ok in our local park, which is a bit odd? I'll have to take the Lobo to a park where my MXT was hitting clad quarters at 6 inches and see if anything deeper is found...

Crank it up to max CCW or max CW is not a good idea. There are only slight/minimal changes necessary to set a proper GB. If you crank it up to much, you get signals from the ground itself and you change the disc also and can miss silver.