Lobo ST Coils and Silver Coin Hunting?

Ok,

Temp was almost 70 today in late October in Chicagoland so I am packing up to go  gold mining in Indiana this weekend,  plus  I did some air testing on the Lobo at  a local park, away from my home interference issues.

I set the Lobo on a park bench and got out some spare change and my tape measure , so there was no guessing. I was able to crank Sens to just inside the Orange area before it chattered a bit.. I had set the R33 trimmer to max CCW but turned it back 1/8 turn. It was orginally set at 1/4 turn back from full CCW from the factory.

Air test results with speaker only:

Clad dime- 7 inch

Modern Lincoln Penny- 8-9 inch

Jefferson Nickel- 10-11 inch

Clad quarter - 10 1/2 inch

I didn't have headphones with me but might expect another inch with headphones and listening for weak sounds. Originally, I could never do better than 8 inch on a clad quarter. I am a much happier camper now.Just have to see how I do in the ground at this point....

-Tom

I wish you a lot of good finds. Your setting could work now. I search with Sens on 10 (at start of the orange area), only with headphones. Set Disc between 1 and 2. Now nail´s come sometimes in with a choppy sound, Big iron sounds good. If you now find to much iron, set the Disc to 2 but don´t go much higher. The deeper the disc-setting the more deeper is the lobo.

I got out with my modified Lobo this weekend. At my sisters house in downtown Indianapolis, I was forced to turn SENS down to about 4.5 as the Lobo chattered too much and I could not pick out good targets. At a playground in west central Indiana, I had the same problem in a gravel tot lot, even tho I was out in the country. I was able to run the LST in Black sand mode flat out with no chatter in the gravel. Next, i tried a small sledding hill and had NO problem.This hill was thick ,rich black topsoil.I could run in Normal mode, just into the orange on Sens. No old coins but the deepest was a measured 7.5 inch on a clad dime.

I think I will just crank the Sens down manually instead of readjusting the inside trimmer for when the unit chatters. Dunno why it did so well in black dirt vs all that chatter in gravel or in town? I am using the 9x8 coil, my favorite. I learnt long ago, to tell bottlecaps and rusty metal washers by the sound on the machine.They make an extremely high pitched sound and very hard to pinpoint, whereas coins and tabs and rings are more mellow and easier to pinpoint.

-T

Hi tvanwho,

you have changed with your GB-mod to some degrees your Disc also. So it could be that some stones (hot rocks, slag from melting metal, mineralic stones and so on) give you a positiv signal. So you have to set your discpot so, that the stones don´t give a signal. If you don´t change your Disc-setting you can identify this stones, wenn you switch in allmetal or pinpoint. For theis stones you get a very good signal in Disc but no or a totaly weak signal in allmetall and pinpoint modus.

Sometimes the coil is no better than the detector pushing it. I've got the Eagle 2 from White's back in the early 90's and it stills has more depth than what your talking about. Just maybe you got trouble with your detector that you just can't see are hear.

The Best to you.

Chuck Anders

• 6 years later...