What I Would Like To See In The Gold Monster 1000

I have bought the last three major releases from Minelab on the first day but I`m not jumping in on the first day with the Monster.    When I first got the 2300 I used it almost exclusively for about 6 months and found over 1000 pieces of gold with it for an average weight of 0.1318 gram per piece.  My biggest piece with the 2300 was a speci with 10.75 grams of gold.  But the thing that finally wore me down with the 2300 was the amount of birdshot you get in Victoria.   The first day I used the 2300 I got about 40 bird shot and I think five pieces of gold. The birdshot has taken all the enjoyment out of the 2300 for me.
What I would really like to see in the Gold Monster 1000 is that the discrimination rejects most of the birdshot.   I realize that`s probably a big ask, but with the amount of money Minelab throw at R&D maybe they have come up with someway to do it.     This is a very small sample of the birdshot I have recovered.  cheers Dave
5mcspt.jpg

• Like 5

I agree with you phoenix , I have diarised every excursion keeping all gold found in containers in there different gullies or diggings . This in itself is interesting to see the different characters of gold , maybe like a fingerprint . I have also kept every pellet in a bulk jar . Very depressing when you look at the number of pellet digs you've had . I agree with your wish list for the Minelab Monster . I want to purchase a detector for my wife and I am waiting for reports and experiences . I'm also waiting for reports on the Deus and Nokta Impact with their gold coils and maybe wait for the new Fisher , if their ever is a release !!!!!!

Cheers

goldrat

• Like 2

There are plenty of detectors that will let you miss the birdshot. Easy to do with most of the Minelab PIs. You will give up the gold also however, there is just no way around it. Lots of small gold reads just like that birdshot and if you tune it out you tune out that gold also.

In VLF you can use a selectable frequency machine and use a high frequency when after the tiny stuff, but if the birdshot is killing you go to a lower frequency to miss it (and some gold). My Fisher F75 at 13 kHz was right on the edge as far as birdshot but basically could ignore it. A Gold Bug Pro at 19 khz will hit on it.

Try running the salt mode on the SDC - it should reduce sensitivity to small stuff, both gold and lead. Sorry, no free lunch!

• Like 6

With the GB2, you get shot half the size of what you posted Phoenix - that opens up a whole new level of little lead targets that the SDC does not see well. The SDC has no problem with the shot you posted, but the real small bird shot is half that size or smaller and the the GB2 really hits those hard. I suspect the GM1000 will also hit the tiny bird shot pretty well too. As Steve says, there is no discriminating out lead without also discriminating out gold.

• Like 2

Yeh Chris, like I said, I thought it was a big ask, but I was hoping that Minelab had been able to pull a rabbit out of a hat and the Monster would be able to reject birdshot.   And even though the monster is only going to be I`m guessing around the 1.2k AUD, I can`t see me buying one if it`s going to get me more birdshot than the 2300 is able to get.
 Thanks Randy Lunn, your comment gave me a good laugh. :biggrin:
cheers Dave

1 hour ago, Randy Lunn said:

40 pieces of bird shot and 5 pieces of gold ........ I'll take that ratio!

Exactly what I was thinking!

I was digging lots of #9 birdshot with the GB II the other day...so hard to see with aging eyes... 

strick

9 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

Africa - no car, no cigarette lighter.

Yep, but so many have little batteries on their motor scooters - they can clip the terminal clips to those to charge - I also saw guy charging phones with a solar cell panel.