Sign in to follow this  
Lunk

Nice Day In The Yucca Dca

It was a beautiful sunny day with a nice breeze in the Yucca Dense Collection Area, formerly known as the Franconia strewn field. A large part of this area has plagued detectorists since meteorites were first discovered here, as the landscape is littered with basalt hot rocks and is completely carpeted with them in some spots. Fortunately the Minelab GPZ 7000 can eliminate the vast majority of them, while still hitting hard on the space rocks. While most of the finds are on the surface, some have become buried over time, like the one I found today at a depth of around 8 inches, or 200 mill. In addition to calcium carbonate deposits forming on the stones's exterior, most of  the fusion crust is being stripped away by chemical weathering and the surface metal grains are oxidizing, staining the surrounding matrix a rusty orange. Mass of specimen is 166 grams.

IMG_0788.thumb.JPG.df6725b29e8434bbc6c084ae4a477787.JPG

• Like 5

Nice! I see you went to the 14 inch for the search...I am sure there are plenty of deep ones left. Not to mention 50 cal bullets...

fred

• Like 1

Fred, I figured it's more advantageous to swing th 14" coil since it can fit between a lot more of the boulders than the 19".

• Like 1

I snagged this map at https://www.researchgate.net/figure/258804552_fig4_Figure-1-Map-of-recovered-meteorites-in-the-Franconia-area-in-Mohave-County-Arizona

"Map of recovered meteorites in the Franconia area, in Mohave County, Arizona. Cascadia Meteorite Laboratory (CML) sample numbers are shown for the meteorites included in this study. Non-CML samples include CMS 1516 (Center for Meteorite Studies, Arizona State University) which is paired with Palo Verde Mine (CML 0185); SaW005 = Sacramento Wash 005; and WSW = Warm Springs Wilderness. For CML 0490 (Buck Mountains 004), the combined mass of 29.5 kg for various stones that may be paired was assumed. Dashed lines show elevations above sea level. “I-40” is interstate highway 40."

fraconia-strewn-field-map.jpg

• Like 3

Nice find Lunk.... Franconia sure can be a nice strewn field to hunt. I am interested how the 19" coil would do on the south side, as a lot of the larger pieces found on the south side were buried pretty good.

Dave.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Nice find Lunk.... Franconia sure can be a nice strewn field to hunt. I am interested how the 19" coil would do on the south side, as a lot of the larger pieces found on the south side were buried pretty good.

Dave.

Dave, I think the GPZ-19 coil would be great on the south side with its flat, open areas and few obstacles. A guy could cover a lot of ground in a day. 

Scored a lovely 94 gram stone today in the same general area. This one was only slightly embedded in the surface of the ground and is in much better shape than yesterday's find. This individual stone displays remnant fusion crust with only a couple of chipped areas.

IMG_0790.thumb.JPG.4f8dce347464053ae36fdace893a52ba.JPG

IMG_0793.thumb.JPG.8b93eb6b7239dced800a62c8976c46b5.JPG

• Like 3

Congrats on some more very nice finds...

Did you run into Mike, and Robby... I got a text from them with their finds, and they said they ran into you...

Dave.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DolanDave said:

Did you run into Mike, and Robby... I got a text from them with their finds, and they said they ran into you...

Dave, Mike noticed my truck and came over to say hi. Real nice guy; hope they found lots of space bits. 

• Like 1

I believe they got  some nice pieces like yourself also, including sunbakers...

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mn90403
      Last Thursday night it was time for a Gold Basin trip.  I knew I had a couple of days so off I went.  The trip for me consists of leaving sometime in the middle of the night, driving 375 miles (6+hrs) and then beginning the hunt.  I've done this many times since I first started going there in 2011.  It is not an area where I've found a lot of gold but I've found some.  Meteorites are also around but I didn't seek them this trip.
      When you go into gold basin there is always this sign.  It is not the old Gold Basin road that is about 5 miles away but it makes for a good picture!

These first couple of pictures were taken about 8 AM so I did pretty good with a couple of stops since I left at 1 AM.
      The hunt was on.  I wanted to find something with the 6 inch Nox so I hunted with it for the morning and the afternoon.  I'll save my details about that for another thread but I did manage to get a little .32g nugget with the Zed before the day was over.  No skunk at least.
      My camping spot was near where I found the nugget.  I slept in the 4Runner with all of the things outside.  It was a great night without wind.  

This was the dawn the next morning looking out my bedroom window.

After a bit more searching in this area it was time to explore and I ended up in a gully.  You can get an idea of a partially dry washed and detected gully from these pictures.

I didn't get any gold out of this stop but I did later.  I called a friend and told him where I had been and what I had done and he suggested a place to go.  It was very similar to the pictures (it all looks the same) but this time I was using the 7000!  I heard a little mellow signal and dug down about 5 inches to bedrock and thought ... oh, no ... hot rock again but then the target moved and the bedrock stayed!  In the scoop screaming ... a nice little .42g nugget!

Two days, two nuggets for .75g total.  This is better than I normally do in Gold Basin.  The weather started closing in so it was time to go.  It is better to stay longer there now because of the long drive but I was not going to stay in the rain.  On the way out I had some visual treats.
      Mitchel

• By Steve Herschbach
      Published on Sep 30, 2018 by Nuggethunting (Rob Allison). “Here is a series of 3 short videos filmed in Arizona. Not all targets are gold, but at least one was a small gold nugget. I was using the Minelab GPZ 7000 Metal Detector.”

• By Zach Robertson
      Should I buy a Fisher Gold Strike
      and will it work on Bradshaw for nuggets 
    • By Sourdough Scott
      http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/02/16/arizona-meteorite-fetches-record-breaking-237500-at-auction.html
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      So many people call me and ask about getting into Nugget Detecting and then comment,  “Hasn’t it all been found by now?”. I’m here to tell you what I found out last week on a short trip to Yuma to get some sun. The last minute, I decided to take a GPZ-7000, as it actually packs in airplane luggage easier than my 5000.
      Anyway, we did the usual stuff for the first 3 days and then got the call to meet up with Lunk and another of my customers the next morning at around 9AM.

I was worried my rental car 2WD Ford Escape was of no use?  But when we met up at the site, I realized my riding lawn mover would have done just fine.  After all, we turned off real genuine pavement and drove less than a mile on gravel, seen some dry wash piles on the side of the road and decided it was good to hunt.

OK… lets cut to the chase… How did we do in the 5 hours of detecting?  All 3 of us found gold with our detectors.  Are we all swinging the high end GPZ-7000 that most folks can’t afford.. you ask?  Nope.  Only me, as I did not realize smaller coils would have served me better for that site.  My one buddy was using a more moderately priced detector, SDC-2300 and he recovered more than I.  Lunk was swinging the best VLF gold machine under $1000 and he too found more than me.  After all, coil size to match the terrain is pretty important as I found out.

So whats the verdict on AZ and Yuma specifically?  Plenty of gold out there folks and I was able to drive my riding lawn mower less than a mile off a paved road when we seen old Prospects so decided to try.   Each of us using 3 different detector price ranges and even technologies (VLF, PI & ZVT) scored some Au.  We all went home with gold…and a few great memories. 

I’m still awe struck that gold can be so easily found a half mile from a paved road, 15 minutes outside of Yuma?  I guess those folks enjoy dry washing more than nugget hunting? 

I'm thinking next winter I know of an area to put on a Gold Detector Field Training class for my customers?  At least I know it is really close to town and most anyone can get there.
      BTW… There is plenty of lead targets in that area too, so you’ll get your share of pinpointing practice.

And on the way back to the hotel, you can pull off the side of the road and get another kind of nuggets, fresh AZ oranges.

• By AUminerAK
      Hello Steve, or other fellow detectorist. I’m going to be in Yuma at the end of February and the first week of March and wondering if it’s worth bringing a dectector with me. Parents go on day trips would like to add a piece of AZ gold to my collection