Full Circle - Fisher Gold Bug Pro To Teknetics G2

OK, so I am bench testing my new G2 at home. The 19 kHz models are renowned for being immune to EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference). No interference ever (well, almost never) even at highest gain levels.

As a rule, the lower the frequency, the more issues you have with EMI. It is especially bad under 10 kHz. DEUS owners may see significant EMI at 4 kHz, only a little at 8 kHz, and none at 12 and 18 kHz. Another reason why manufacturers favor mid frequency detectors these days.

I have been bench testing detectors in my house for years so think I know the EMI levels. No issues with previous units like the Gold Bug Pro and F19. Yet this new G2 chatters like crazy! I fire off an email to First Texas asking if some change I was unaware of. Nope. And could not be a bad coil because both did it.

Then on another go I noticed EMI bad on one end of house but not the other. I walk around and the detector leads me to a new LED bulb I installed recently. This thing is pumping out 19 kHz EMI like crazy! Not long ago I installed a number of these cheap LED bulbs in my house. https://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-Replacement-CEOM60-927/dp/B01BJ0Y1MC Looks like my mission to upgade my house to all LED just ran into a snag!

More on LED bulb interference - https://www.google.com/search?num=30&q=led+bulb+electrical+interference&oq=led+bulb+electrical+interference 

Just shows how more and more we are surrounded by new forms of electrical interference to make life harder for detector engineers.

IMG_0371.JPG

• Like 2

On 04/11/2017 at 4:35 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Give them a call! eBay has the ability to list available quantities as that auction was doing. Somebody blew it on their end and had more listed than were available. Maybe a great deal on a G2+ (or Gold Bug DP etc.) would salve your wounds?

It appears as if I will be able to get an excellent price on the G2+ instead.  I am thankful they worked with me.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Wow, that’s a smoking deal for sure - $300 off the G2+ - may need to upgrade my G2. Except it sure makes a guy wonder why all the deep discounting. New machines in the wings? Or sales just lagging? I love the series but I always thought the G2+ and F19 were overpriced compared to the T2 and F75, and that was before those detectors went down in price. Right now before this sale kicked in the G2+ ($699) was $200 more than a T2 Classic ($499), which makes no sense to me. The G2+ at $449 seems more in line with where it should be.

Got to be tough on dealers like you Craig - glad I don’t have to sweat stuff like that anymore. My favorite was Minelab loading me up with a “great deal” on the GP3000 then immediately coming out with the GP3500. Never made much on that deal!

fisher-f19-black-gold-10-x-5-dd-metal-detector.jpgteknetics-g2plus-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 1

I dont prospect but the ID is so good for single frequency I think I'm gonna snag a G2+ to pair with my omega for those spots emi shuts it down or rare relic hunt.  I think this is only a sales move.  Nothing new but a pin pointer coming out this year that I know of.

• Like 1