Took my two boys (they make the perfect cover) to an elementary school playground today, Sunday. I had found a silver ring here a few weeks back. Decided to run Deus 4.0 around the place. More or less walked random wavey patterns in the courtyard between the building and the playground when not tending to the needs of the youngest.

Just sitting ducks for any detectorist. Almost every target was an isolated signal surface to 8". Took the 62' quarter at 8" - which was an unexpected coin. Only one good ring. The gold plate ring is a Lord Of The Rings copy. I've barely made a dent in the courtyard. Still a practice field, BB courts, another original playground, and the loading zones. Hopefully there is some teacher/parent gold lurking around there.

262uywz.jpg

jr8905.jpg

5bsrdj.jpg

Keep on swingin!

• Like 7

Maybe things are looking up.... Just a slow start to the new year..

• Like 2

Sometimes I wonder how heavy the hunting pressure is around my area. This hunt was unusual with 4 rings and a silver coin, so not typical for me. If I were fishing I'd have ran into a school of rings! :laugh:

Normally I expect to catch at least one gold item per month. This year I've been hitting too many gold plated crap - the tide will change!

Hows it normally goes is several months drought without gold, then a few back to back gold finds followed by another drought filled with silver jewelry and lots of cheap kids stuff.

I'm due for some real gold. Only two gold this year and it's the 4th month. If I don't get something soon I'll start discriminating everything above zinc - come on already! 

On a side note, my kids are huge into Minecraft and they think I'm mining for gold to smelt into gold ingots. LOL. They're kinda right though. :blink:

I think park hunting has dropped off. Most people were into it for old silver, and the heyday is over there when it comes to public parks. I say that because I dig a lot of clad that has been in the ground for many years. If hard core coin hunters were at it that stuff should not be there.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I agree Steve, seems like the majority of detectorist have given up or just quit (in my area).  Only until the past year have I devoted more time to hunting gold rings instead of deep silver.  Mostly I have started re-hunting the hunted out sites of the past. 

• Like 1

One of the things I have noticed is that most of the parks we goto the tot lot's are pretty barren. We still find a little but they are pretty clean.

Now when I goto a park I always hit the tot lot first ... Just a quick hit and run type thing.

Then I get into the grass. This is where I find a surprising amount of things.... I think people have gotten lazy, because of the amount of finds I make in the grass near the tot lot. 

Also my recovery methods show very minor evidence if any of my ever being there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been a people watcher. I enjoy it. Reading what they are thinking by body language, and on occasion predicting events just before they do happen as I foresee.

From my observations and experiences while detecting in the not to distant area at peak times and while with my own kids anytime, I'll share.

Around the tot lot from 3-9 feet from the edges proper, that's a magic area for me. If you observe adults here at peak times you'll see them mostly in this zone, probably because it's close enough for safety and reacting quickly for most parents comfort. 0-3 feet is mostly reserved for kids running around it, playing chase, goofing, or resting. Adults may also sit or rest here but I consider it a transition zone within the play area.

So when I get there I hunt them in order of priority by zones. Zone 1 is 3-9 feet. Zone 2 0-3 feet. Zone 3 is in the playground. Zone 4 is 9 feet and beyond. I find great things in every zone, but I'm after expensive things adults lose so where they spend the most time is where my focus is.

If I only hit a park and have one shot at it, you can bet I'm hitting zone 1 at the tot lot before moving to other zone 1's elsewhere in the park.

Just how I do it... YMMV:smile:

• Like 5

Very interesting:smile:

• Like 1