SDC 2300 Ground Balancing Question

strick

When ground balancing with my previous metal detectors I am used to hearing the change in pitch of the threshold as the metal detector is being raised and lowered. With my SDC it barely makes any noise at all when ground balancing. Is there something wrong with my machine or is this normal for this unit?

Chuck Strickland

post-351-0-71893200-1413034536_thumb.jpg

The SDC 2300 ignores most ground mineralization before you even ground balance it. So nothing appears to happen when you ground balance it unless the ground is bad enough to react. I found this slightly disconcerting myself, and suggested that the green ground balance button produce a beep or some other audio feedback when engaged just to let the operator know it is working. So far that suggestion has not been acted on.

So anyway in most areas unless the ground mineralization is pretty intense, nothing will appear to happen when you press the ground balance button. The reality is the SDC 2300 is always in ground tracking mode and so even if you never did the quick ground balance procedure by pressing the button the unit would find the proper setting on its own after a few minutes of operation. Further, the SDC 2300 retains the last operating settings when shut off, so once you ground balance in a particular location you are pretty much done needing the button.

Great photo!

post-1-0-31469900-1413036436_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-32446000-1413036545_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OK...Thanks Steve. I was hoping that was the answer. The machine is intense...seems to be always thinking and adjusting itself. A few more pictures....

Another view down the canyon....

post-351-0-05377100-1413083826_thumb.jpg

and one from the bottom looking up. Wish I could say I found some gold there.

post-351-0-12816300-1413083875_thumb.jpg

Recent beach hunt

post-351-0-04360600-1413083901_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-86522400-1413083912_thumb.jpg

strick

The finding of nuggets is all in the search. The hardest part is getting your coil over a nugget.

Yes I am finding that out. Rings are much easier :) So far I'm "zero for one" on gold prospecting trips. Unfortunately in my case what will be harder then finding gold bearing terrain will be finding the time to take off work to go looking for it. I am self employed and my boss can be a real stickler about leaving for more then a few hours. In the mean time I will get my gold fix on great web sites like this one and I'm hoping to learn as much as possible from experienced prospectors like yourself. I try to read everything I can on the subject. Thanks for the help fellas!

strick

post-351-0-97603100-1413294791_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-90378500-1413294805_thumb.jpg

Nice finds! Hunting coins and rings is the worst training possible for learning about nugget hunting. There is an almost immediate reward when coin/ring detecting; finding that first nugget can take hours, days, weeks or even years...never give up!

The above comment does not apply if you are detecting for aluminum and foil with some detectors...that is what I use my gbpro for as parks are much closer than gold areas. Of course I still dig the coins and other stuff.

fred

Hunting coins and rings is the worst training possible for learning about nugget hunting.

very true. The other thing is that it trains your ear to listen for loud targets and ignore faint signals as hot rocks, foil or other trash. Then you switch to gold hunting and 99% of the time the loud signals are the trash and once in a while those faint ones are gold. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the green button was just for good luck! The noise cancel button doesn't really seem to make much if a difference either but I still go through the whole process every time I go out. I have at least 300 grams of bullets to show for my persistence.