Goldgetter, That setup will pump dirt!

If you are getting a good deal on the dredge don't worry about it. You can always add a second pump if you find you need more power.

What I would be concerned with is the condition of the floats and hose. If they are brittle or dry rotted you will need to replace them and they are spendy.

The way I see it it's just a matter of what you are going to pay for the dredge verses a new one and what that leaves for replacement parts or upgrades if needed.

I got an excellent deal on my dredge at 5300.00 but two weeks after I bought it one came up on Craigslist, year old and sold for 2000.00. If I had waited just a bit longer I would have purchased that one for 3300.00 less and I would have plenty of wiggle room to do any repairs necessary, Go figure!

As far as the clean out on my dredge, not an issue I pull the large pieces out of the upper nugget trap area and the rest of the cons get stockpiled for running thru a Gold Cube during the winter months.

Looks like you are in California, can you dredge there?

He built it right before the dredging ban in ca. So he says he never used it. But claims he's built many dredge. I like the portability of it especially since I'm a one man show. I do have some Honda 13hp laying around, I could fasten it to the pump, would that boost the performance?

Well every thing is suposidly brand new never used and I can get it for 3900. What really attracts me is a enclosed trailer he will sell together. I think I could get both for 6-7k. No can't dredge in ca yet, but the ban never stopped me. I'm just sick of sneaking around and I would like to go somewhere I can bring my family. My boy is turning three yrs old and I want to find some good ground with good camping out of state so we can start taking family vacations. Me and my wife started our relationship arround dredging and we both love it between the ban and having a kid she hasn't got to participate in my mining excursions much. But in a couple years I foresee not being able to go mining without my kid?

Just my opinion, very unlikely that this gentleman's 9 hp dredge with a home made nozzle is going to be so efficient that it will equal the performance of a 16hp pump and a conventional nozzle.  It might work just as good as a 9 hp conventional pump/nozzle setup or a little better.  But nearly double the performance?  I don't think so.

I would sure want to try it before committing to the purchase.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is claiming this unit would equal a 16HP run 6" dredge for power. My Keene 6" dredge ran just fine with twin Keene 6HP pumps, for 12HP total. The unit in question is underpowered but should work fine at shallow depths. Truthfully, we are all just offering best guesses however, and you may be right - it could just be too underpowered to work well. If the price is right then selling the 9HP and re powering to a 13HP would be no big deal but I would be sure the price I paid took that possibility into account.

I'm pretty sceptical myself, price is 3900 but I might be able to get it cheaper, I have plenty of other pump and motors I could configure on there. I actually have another keene 9hp with same pump so it could be worth it. But I don't like buying a project so I might just pay 3 times more and get a new proline.

• Like 1

One thing, With dredging banned in CA. And we are talking a large dredge here. I can't imagine that being a hot seller. I wouldn't hesitate to negotiate the price to a point that you just cant walk away.

From what you said about buying a new Proline for triple the money, well your not there yet!

Hey.. i want to clear somethings that is not mentioned here. When dealing with suction is not all JUST engine HP is more about the GPM.  Meaning two 6hp pumps will produce 700 and something GMP with a higher PSI. While a 16hp engine  will be around the 500 gpm with a slightly less psi. 

One larger engine will produce suction but not as much as a two engine combo using even a regular power jet.  

And like steve explain is a depth thing as soon need to lift 5" rocks 8-10 feet out of the water it takes away a whole lot of the suction to justify.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up going with a brand new proline 6". real happy!

• Like 2